We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maggie's new resort

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Maggie's new resort

Can anyone advise on how Peppers Blue on Blue is looking, what its location is like in terms of convenience for beaches and restaurants, and what the restaurant scene is like on the island?

Mentioned in this post
Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Peppers Blue On Blue...
1,413 Reviews
Magnetic Island, Australia
North West
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maggie's new resort

if this is the new one in nelly bay then its looking still quite empty but built if you know what i mean. it doesnt really stay in keeping with the rest of low rise magnetic aisland, even though it is only 3 storeys high, it looks out of place. nelly bay and horsehoe bay are quite busy, but if i went again without a car i'd probably go to horseshoe bay - hire a moke for transport!

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maggie's new resort

Have to agree with Kew

I was there a few weeks ago and found the place a bit stark and

unimpressive. All concrete and asphalt, hardly a tree in site, Not the place I would want to spend a weeks holiday

Many of the B& Bs, Sailz or other holiday lettings in horseshoe bay could be much better option.

Fantasea has now taken over the ferry company and its costs $150 for return transfers with a car. Thats going to hurt the Islands tourism..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maggie's new resort

Thanks to both of you, that's good advice. We were surprised to see the island's due another big resort, Sea Temple, at Radical Bay. My memories of Radical bay made it the first, and last place you'd want to put a resort, depending on your perspective.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maggie's new resort

Sorry to hijack your post words, there used to be an abandoned resort at Horeshoe Bay, southern end. Did that ever get redeveloped? it just looked a nice area to chill out for a few days.

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maggie's new resort

Hi Surf oz

Do you mean the next bay south to Horshoe Bay, as the previous post points out, that is Radical bay and it used to be a backpacker resort run by Magnums many years ago. Cant agree with the previous post though. I believe it was a nice quiet serene bay. Only access these days is by four wheel drive as the road is washed out. For me I do like to get away from the crowds. Hence the love of boats and quiet bays, dont like the neighbours then just pullup the anchor and move..

Cheers Skipper

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maggie's new resort

Hi Skipper, yes i think it was Radical Bay, we really enjoyed Maggie and spent many hours walking to the various bays and I agree the ones away from the main areas were great. I would have loved to have a boat there!

Magnetic Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maggie's new resort

Hi, I live on Magnetic Island and would happy to give some local advice.

Radical Bay has not yet been developed and at the moment it is a beautiful bay to chill out. The abandoned old eyesore of a resort has been demolished and the bay is now just a beautiful place to visit. The road has been restored and you can drive vehicles (except mokes) directly to the beach. There are also fantastic walking tracks directly to the bay. The planned Sea Temple resort is not planned for about another 2 years and is planned to be in keeping with the environment.

As for Peppers Blue on Blue. The resort has only very recently opened and has brought a new element of accommodation and dining standards to Magnetic Island. The areas around the resort were completed at the last minute and now are quite lush with plenty of green grass and fairly established trees and shrubs.

The restaurant at the resort is moderately priced and offers a blend of contemporary dining with awesome ocean and mountain views from the restaurant deck. The resort is located next to the ferry terminal, so it's very convenient when first arriving on the island. The closest beach is about a ten minute walk however, the best beaches as mentioned are around the radical bay area which you can access via car, bus and walking track.

You will notice that older resorts such as Sails on Horseshoe and the island B&B's do not offer the same standard of accommodation as the new resorts in Nelly Bay.

To find out more about the restaurant scene on the island, see the dining guide in trip advisor as I try to keep it up to date.

I hope that you enjoy your time on Magnetic Island, it is a really special place if you take the time to enjoy the beautiful beaches and take advantage of the walking tracks and laid back environment, I'm sure that you'll really enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Peppers Blue On Blue...
1,413 Reviews
Magnetic Island, Australia
Magnetic Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maggie's new resort

Also, just to let 'Whitsunday Skipper' know. Riverside Marine (previously the name of the Magnetic Island car ferry which also has huge barge operations around the country) actually bought out the Fantasea company including the operations in the Whitsundays. They have not introduced a price rise since the takeover.

I think that to be able to drive your own car to Magnetic Island with up to 3 passengers or 2 adults and 2 children in the car is quite reasonable for only $144 return. It would normally cost $36 per adult return on the passenger ferry and you wouldn't have the convenience of your own car or you would have to hire a car or moke for around $70 per day.

I recently went to the Whitsundays and it cost myself and my husband $98 return with Fantasea just to get to Long Island so I still think Magnetic Island's ferry fares are quite reasonable.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
9. Re: Maggie's new resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island