We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-drive tour tips in Daintree

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Self-drive tour tips in Daintree

I understand there are private areas with great flora and fauna that will allow folks in without having to be part of a tour. How can I find these properties? Any other tips for getting to see flora and fauna and great swimming spots without having to be part of a tour.

Thanks.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-drive tour tips in Daintree

Much of the Daintree region is either privately owned or simply inaccessible to anyone. I have not heard of any private properties that allow visitors access.

There are however many places where public access is possible and well worth a visit such as the public boardwalks.

Some tour operators have private agreements with landowners and are able to take guest to some beautiful parts of the region including secluded creeks ideal for swimming. Our native flora is in abundance everywhere you look but the fauna can be a little difficult to spot in the wild, especially during the day.

Night time is when the forest comes alive. There are also places where you can see all the local fauna in captivity.

Your best bet would be to talk to your hotel tour desk when you arrive. They will have heaps of maps and good local advice for self drivers as to where to go and what to see.

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-drive tour tips in Daintree

Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.

3. Re: Self-drive tour tips in Daintree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 17, 2013