We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queensland weather in May and June

St Margaret's at...
Level Contributor
40 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Queensland weather in May and June

What is the weather really like in Far North Queensland in May and June. One report tells me it's warm and dry with clear blue skies and another tells me there are less hours of sunshine than Dcember and January - When we were last there in Dec and Jan it rained like mad!

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queensland weather in May and June

I was in Cape Tribulation last June and it did rain but more like intermittant showers. It's certainly not the heavy rains of December/January.

The weather was fine enough for us to go on some tours and guided walks, etc. Unfortunately for us our visit coincided with 30+ knot winds (which we were told was unusual for the time of year) so none of the reef boats were going out and our kayaking tour to Snapper Island (at the mouth of the Daintree) was cancelled too.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the claim of less hours of sunshine in June/July than Dec/Jan. Of course there are less - it's winter and the days are shorter.

I've also been to Cairns towards the end of June and the weather was perfect - warm and sunny. I spent my whole holiday in the big blue.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queensland weather in May and June

We always say to folks that May and early June is about the best time to visit the Far North as normally (and what is a 'normal' year nowadays?!) the heavy wet season rains have finished, everything is lush and green with all the creeks and waterfalls running, it's not so hot and humid, the days pleasantly warm and nights pleasantly cooler, and there are not as many visitors as during the peak time from the end of June through to September. Lots of sunny days with just the odd showery one to keep the grass green. Yes the days are a little shorter but nothing like in the northern hemisphere - it's bright daylight by 7am and gets dark shortly after 6pm.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Queensland weather in May and June

Sunbird has described my one of my trips up there (I went in 1st week of May) exactly as it happened!

It was slightly overcast on some days but generally very sunny, a little rain only at night, 26C every day without fail, cool and lovely in the mornings, not too bad with regards to humidity in the afternoon and evenings, 'cooling down' to 20- 21C at night. I recommend to anyone that's thinking of going to FNQ to go in May esp. if you're used to cooler climes to begin with!

4. Re: Queensland weather in May and June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 09, 2009