We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape tribulation and daintree

Which Cape Tribulation hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cape tribulation and daintree

Hi all,

I'm a bit last min.com. Going to Australia this weekend and am trying to figure out how to do cape tribulation and daintree without going on a tour. We are going to hire a car but how much will we be able to do and will we see much with out the tour.

Any advice or help will be appreciated

Philly, PA
Level Contributor
758 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

I really think a good tour with a naturalist is key to understanding the rainforest and it's components. You could drive yourself, cross the daintree on the ferry, drove the very windy roads and visit the nature center and make your way up to cape trib. Honestly it's good for a look but was not safe swimming water per the signage so not sure how much time you want to spend there. We did a tour with Down under tours which was well worth it for the info we received and the stops we made. Their vehicle was awesome too, huge windows which allowed you to take in all the views on the ride up.

How many people are you? Do you have the full day to spend ?

Edited: 8:55 pm, April 19, 2011
Philly, PA
Level Contributor
758 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

Also you could check out a tour website and just do the same stops on your own, just be prepared for a lot of driving! At least you are used to that side of the road!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

depends on really on if u want to see the forest or the trees in a way. if u r into a detailed talk about the rainforest then probably a tour is better. but u can get a briefing on that on the net and in the visitors centre too.

if u just want to see and enjoy the scenery and be on your itinerary rather than someone elses then a DIY self drive is better. it's an easy drive up and back in a day from pd or cairns.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

soooo if one drives oneself...and wants to get out and hike around a bit....(this is gonna sound so dumb!) what about...um...CROCS?

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

Crocs are protected so you are not permitted to catch them, whether driving on your own or in a tour group. LOL!

You are able to visit croc farms while driving yourself. Also, on the Daintree you can take an electric powered boat ride and spot them, along with birdlife and snakes curled up in the branches above. I recommend either the Electric Boat Company at Daintree Village or the Solar Whisper cruise departing from the southern side of the Daintree river near the ferry. You are unlikely to come across any crocs on the walking trails.

solarwhisper.com/Daintree_Solar_Whisper_Maps…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

there are usually warning signs where crocs are active.

however it might be a good idea to learn about what is a crocodile environment in case u r intend wandering off the beaten track so u know where to keep a look out. at certain times of the year they can be in the ocean and on the beaches.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

It's just me and my hubby going, we have allocated a full day

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

thanks and yikes! I will do more studying!

sorry to post on your thread, needabreak.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

It's just me and my hubby going, we have allocated a full day for this. I'm not too keen on snakes so a tour is probably not ideal for me.

Thanks for the tips

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape tribulation and daintree

You'll be fine, the only place we've seen crocs is in the creeks and rivers.

Anyway you can only take a hire car as far as Cape Trib. You won't be going up the Bloomfield track in a hire car (north of CT) up to Cooktown.

However we did have one worrying time many years ago fishing off the beach at low tide (probably where we shouldn't have been) better not mention that spot exactly, but near cow bay, and the tide comes in very quickly....we got out in a big hurry.

And we are used to the tides, well we think so! :)

Good advice from Beth, just check out a tour website and do the same trip as she mentioned. Much cheaper to do it yourself and you can stop at other places along the way, watch the tides though if on the beach :)

If you want more detailed advice on what you want to see and do happy to help

LTB