We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

Which Cape Tribulation hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
4 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

Hi,

Just wondering how good the snorkelling is from the beach at Cape Trib? I've read that the reef comes to within 100 metres of the shore. I know that there's better snorkelling on the outer reef and will take a day trip to access that, but if anyone can give an indication of how much fun is to be had snorkelling from the shore that would be great.

I've been to Coral Bay WA (Ningaloo Reef) and Heron Island in the past, specifically because I knew I could happily snorkel from the shore each day and not be reliant on tours for some marine entertainment. Is Cape Trib going to be similar to either of these destinations or am I going to be disappointed?

(I've also done outer reef before from Port Douglas, so I know how spectacular it is and will do it again one day, but for this trip my main priority is finding somewhere where I can also access reasonable reef from the beach each day).

Thanks,

Gofish73

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

Cape trib...go snorkel off St Kilda...

Caoe Trib is because the rainforest meets the reef (kinda) anywhere coastal will suffer from sediment and ruinoff probs

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

The reef is around 15nm from Cape Trib. People swim at Cape Trib Beach. There is a nice headland with very clear water (when not windy) and plenty of sea life. I know this cause looking down from the headland track you can clearly see to the bottom. Twice I have seen large sharks in this area mooching around. One was a hammerhead and the other don't know but both were in the 3m+ size. They weren't there to improve their sun tans. If you go snorkelling off this beach take a slow swimmer with you.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

Technically the reef and rainforest do "meet" at Cape trib but the reef is fringing inshore reef. I would not recommend snorkelling from there. There is Sea Kayaking which is pleasant and on a clear sunny day you can make out some corals and aquatic life (eg turtles, sub note agree with Whiteman about the sharks. Crocs have also been sighted in these waters). Also agree with 2bear not very interesting for snorkelling. You may be better to investigate Whitsundays for snorkelling from islands. Otherwise, as you said it will involve a boat/tour operator to get to the "good stuff" ! If you've got the money - try Lizard Island for beach/island snorkelling and an absolutely indulgent once in a lifetime expereince!

Charlotte, North...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

hey gofish,

i know you said you wanted to go from the beach, but just fyi:

while my partner and i were in cape trib (april 2009), we did a half day snorkel trip with Ocean Safari. http://www.oceansafari.com.au/index.html

it was FANTASTIC! it's cheaper than the whole day, and you still get the same amount of time in the water because you go out to the reef in a fast boat, it only takes 30 minutes. we went to mackay reef, and it was the best snorkelling i have ever done. it was heaps better than our trips in port douglas as well as the whitsundays. the sites were really shallow so the light and color were outstanding. and it's a protected area, so they only allow 50 people to go out there per day. we were the only ones around. we saw all sorts of amazing stuff - turtles, reef sharks, barracuda, rays, etc. the crew were great and it was a really nice ride out there and back.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

Well Heron Island is a true coral island so the snorkeling there would be fantastic. Cape trib beaches are not very inviting to swim from. I would also watch out for the crocs and sharks. This area is not like Sydney or Melbourne in that regards. If you do decide to swim from the beach do check with the locals so they can advise you where to swim safely. Do not underestimate the dangers of the crocs in the area.

6. Re: Snorkelling from the beach at Cape Trib?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, November 23, 2009