We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluegrass Festival at David Thompson Resort??

Taby, Sweden
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bluegrass Festival at David Thompson Resort??

Hi, we will tour the Rockies for two weeks June 16-30. I have the itinary done - but now we discovered there is a "Canadian Rockies Bluegrass Festival" at David Thompson resort close to Nordegg. Since we both like bluegrass, we consider making a detour (skip one day in Banff or Lake Louise) and go there. I have got a little scared by the disastrous reviews David Thompson resort has got here on Trip Advisor - just terrible. Now I can't help thinking - what if this festival is no good, fake or just no good at all - the we would waist our time driving the detour and going there - rather than admiring the Nationalparks.

Does anybody know this festival - is it worth a detour?

Edited: 6:39 pm, June 01, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluegrass Festival at David Thompson Resort??

I don't think that it's a "fake" festival - several bluegrass musicians have it on their list of past or future concerts, and it seems to have been running for a number of years. The only Alberta bluegrass festival I have heard of is Shady Grove in Nanton, which is apparently about 20 years old.

I would suggest contacting the Waskasoo Bluegrass Music Society, in Innisfail - the closest bluegrass society to Nordegg - to get more info from the folks who are most likely to know: www.waskasoobluegrass.com

But yes, in my opinion the David Thompson Resort is a resort in name only. In Canada, there are a lot of self-appointed resorts of this type.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,586 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluegrass Festival at David Thompson Resort??

There's also Aurum Lodge, in the same general area. On TripAdvisor it's hidden under "specialty lodging":

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499617-d497830…

DTR and Aurum are the only two places for miles around, BTW, and the reviews sound much better for Aurum. You could always stay at Aurum and commute over to the music festival. (What an eccentric place for a music festival...)

PS: The country in this area is practically as stunning as that inside the national parks.

Edited: 8:47 pm, June 01, 2010
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,745 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluegrass Festival at David Thompson Resort??

This won't help Sweden01, but I'll mention it in case it benefits anyone else... there is also the Blueberry bluegrass festival in Stony Plain, in August.

4. Re: Bluegrass Festival at David Thompson Resort??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, November 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Nordegg