We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

Hi there, Me and my partner are looking to go travelling for 4 weeks over the xmas period with my 9yr old son. We want to go somewhere hot and do some proper travelling back packing style. I was wondering where to go that will be warm but also very authentic as we dont want 5 star. we want to rough it and let my son see how people really live in some parts of the world. My partner has travelled allot but at different times of the year not at xmas so we were wondering if you could possibly give us some good advice. Thank you for reading this and help would be appreciated ;-)

Dovedale
Geologic Formations, Valleys
National Trust Museum of Childhood
Children's Museums, Specialty Museums
Ashbourne Tunnel
Points of Interest & Landmarks
9 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

So why post on the Ashbourne forum?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

I actually did not know it said ashbourne, but in the end the result should not matter to much if anyone had some helpful hints and tips for a young family wishing to travel. But thank you very much for pointing that out to me . i will rectify the post to where it should rightfully be posted, when i find out where to post it.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

We went to Gambia for a week in January: we were actually on a birdwatching trip, but that always involves getting out into the countryside: it was quite an eye opener to see places where people live- quite happily - on a dollar a day. There are some pretty basic hotels in Gambia...

I have also done India in December, which is also an eye opener - even Goa, which can easily be back-packed, but is much richer than most other parts of India, though poor by European standards: again, some of the hotels were.....basic.

As for Ashbourne....well it's quite near Leicester so someone from Bath will think that's Third World as well - though better than Gloucester...:)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

How about you let him enjoy Christmas at home and then do the travelling? Seems a bit unfair to rub his nose in the miseries of the world when most of his contemporaries will be being spoilt rotten.

In fact, it's a bad idea full stop. 9 years old is far too young to be "roughing it" unless you really have to. There will be significant risks to his health (malaria, dengue fever, dysentery etc) from roughing it in tropical climes, plus the risk of street crime. At best, you will just make him thoroughly miserable, at worst, you may put his life in danger.

If you want him to appreciate how the less fortunate half of the world lives, why not get involved with a local church or charity who deal with the poor either here or in the 3rd World, and get him involved with fundraising or helping out in old people's homes etc. Or take him to a decent hotel somewhere like Kenya, and visit a local orphanage whilst you are there.

When he's older (17-18), he can get involved with Operation Raleigh or suchlike.

Sorry, but 9 years old is way too young. I doubt your partner was "roughing it" at that age.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

Totally disagree with PoolLounger (whose name is a bit of a give-away), though it very much depends on the child as to whether they get anything from such a trip.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

Thank you Roman very much appreciated,

we were thinking of goa actually, and we had looked at the Philippines too. there is really so much choice we have to be quick to book the flights tickets as soon as as. I know they get more expensive the closer to travel time. And yes my son is very open to others and he is not just about how much presents he can get, he said he will take paper and pens to other children we see when we are away. I have been to africa and climbed Kilimanjaro, then went to a orphanage and donated all my son old clothes and shoes and little teddys we had donated. Now i think it a great idea for a 9yr old that knows alot of what happens in the world and is not just about how many xboxes and i pods he can get LOL, We would rather go on elephant rides through the jungle as a family than sit watching telly and eating chocolate all day, that is what makes real family happy memories. I don't get why a post asking people for help could result in some stupid small minded ADULTS commenting they should just have ignored my Request.

Thank you RomanCitezen for your insight i will have a look now at islands we can possibly hop over too and what kind of things we can do while there.

Have a great day ;-)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

You asked about "back-packing", "authentic" , "roughing it" and "seeing how people really live". An elephant ride through the jungle is none of those things. Authentic is sleeping in a fleasy hostel with poor hygiene, dubious fellow guests, eating street food and poor quality water. That's not for a 9 year old.

So I'm sorry if you took offence, but taking a 9 year old for a holiday in Goa is a different prospect to back-packing through Mozambique and sleeping where the locals sleep, which is what it sounded like you had in mind.

makati
Level Contributor
75 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

Christmas is a beautiful time to visit the philippines. Being a mostly catholic country we celebrate for a long time starting with early morning mass at the start of December until Xmas eve and end officially January pm the feast of 3 kings.

December is also great weather wise as we rarely get typhoons these times and rains are not common. It's also generally cooler.

We also have lots of Xmas lights and lanterns using native materials decorating the streets.

But traffic is really bad in the big cities so try to go other areas like the beaches : Palawan , Bohol , boracay or the mountains like baguio, or sagada. Iloilo, cebu, vigan Davao are also good places to visit.

makati
Level Contributor
75 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy

Christmas is a beautiful time to visit the philippines. Being a mostly catholic country we celebrate for a long time starting with early morning mass at the start of December until Xmas eve and end officially January pm the feast of 3 kings.

December is also great weather wise as we rarely get typhoons these times and rains are not common. It's also generally cooler.

We also have lots of Xmas lights and lanterns using native materials decorating the streets.

But traffic is really bad in the big cities so try to go other areas like the beaches : Palawan , Bohol , boracay or the mountains like baguio, or sagada. Iloilo, cebu, vigan Davao are also good places to visit.

Reply to: travelling over xmas with a 9yr old boy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted