We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being Bumped to another resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Being Bumped to another resort

A recent post discussed being bumped from CRT to another Catalonia resort. Yet, another post discussed a group of 10+ being bumped TO CRT from another resort. We will be going to CRT mid-May, and wonder what the odds are of this happening to us. Also, we wonder if we are considered "repeat guests" if we have stayed at a different Cat Royal in the DR. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Hi there...sbulldog....we leave on Monday for CRT. At the suggestion of others, we emailed CRT to advise that we have stayed at Cat Yucatan/Riviera Maya for the last five years. Some tell us we may receive a Vip armband that may give us perks. i will let you know if this happens. As far as being bumped, it sure as heck better not happen to us...I am way too excited to do a new resort this year. Also, of the 3 Cats, CRT is the most expensive. It cost us $300.00 more per person then Cat Yucatan, and Cat Maroma is priced between the two. So, if we do get bumped, it will cost them. we booked through a travel agent, and Nolitours.Air Transat.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

@sbulldog - I would expect that you'd have no problem mid-May, it is a medium season and there shouldn't be any overbooking.

@kitley2001 - that's a good attitude! I would not agree to switch to Cat Yucatan/Riviera Maya for any money as the beach there is not good. The CPM - may be, if they offer some good compensation, but on the other hand it is not adult only.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Olga...I agree. I also think that if you give them hassels, they will just move onto the next person, until they get someone willing. Three years ago we were offered to move to Cat Maroma from Cat Yukatan, and just said no thanks...we like it here. Didn't seem to be a problem.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Another trip report just posted complains about being bumped. Can't tell if they protested or went willingly.

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

This subject comes up every year, mostly at "peak season". From what I have learned, the overbooking is primarily caused by the tour operators who oversell their "allotment" at one resort and undersell at another CAT resort. And, apparently the tour ops don't bother to tell the resorts that they did it. The resorts are not 100% innocent either. 'Stuff happens' and the staff has to figure out how to fix it ... no matter who screwed up.

It was either 2012 or 2011 peak season that the cause was traced back to a couple of tour operators and one particular Canadian tour op. You might still be able to find those stories if you use the forum search feature.

The horror stories that get posted often times seem to really stretch the truth too. We know of several people who were ASKED to spend 1-2 nights at one of the other Cats and were very well compensated for their cooperation. And, several who were asked, and refused with no backlash.

If you surf around the other forums you'll see that the overbooking situation is NOT at all unique to the Cats. It's a peak season disease common to the hotel business, I guess.

Peak season is generally considered to be over on May 1. And, with Easter and Spring breaks being rather earlier than usual this year, May should be a bit calmer than when Easter butts up closer to May 1.

As for some level of assurance to the original poster of this thread ... we always go to CRT in early May and have never been asked to re-locate, and never have come across anyone else who was "forced". We usually have found the resort to be between 75 and 90% occupancy in early/mid May.

Repeat guest perks question --- it sure doesn't hurt to ask. You may be pleasantly surprised !

Sbulldog --- we'll be there in mid-May too. Maybe we'll bump into you?

San Francisco Bay...
Destination Expert
for Xpu-Ha
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Totally agree with what Bob said. It is so hard on the front desk to find out that the tour groups do this to them. And usually happens this time of year. But it does happen in the whole area not just at this resort. They hate to have to explain to the guests about problems the tour groups throw at them. I think that it may help if you are on Facebook to check into their page and let them know about your trip. Sbulldog hope to meet you. I usually hang out around the pool over by the spa. Come and say Hi Bob is usually on the beach with signs up and you will see Pollo Man walking around with crazy hats so come and say HI

Link below for the facebook page

https:/…

Edited: 12:56 pm, March 01, 2013
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Bob--yes we hope to bump into you as long as we're not "bumped" (attempt at humor here). Carolyn, you sent me your tip sheet which I appreciate so much. We'll be there the 18th to the 26th, so will look for you both. Thanks for your input.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Just returned from CRT for our 4th visit. We stayed during the peak week which the latest reviews on here reference. As for bumping, we arrived at around 2 PM and were asked if we'd be willing to spend one night at their sister resort in return for some perks (consider us part of the "let's see if we can get some volunteers" group). We declined. I can only imagine that those who arrived later that day fell into the "force-ably bumped" group.

Being our 4th trip, we emailed ahead with room/block requests and made a point to let them know we were repeat visitors. Well worth doing so. We were given VIP wrist bands that gave us access to certain spa services, champagne and fruit in our room, free t-shirts, and a guest card that allowed us to register our preferred rooms, etc. so that these could be logged and noted against future visits.

I feel truly sorry for those who are getting bumped, future guests don't need this worry and arriving guests certainly don't need this kind of treatment.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

Three out of the last 5 trip reports describe being asked to go to another hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Being Bumped to another resort

I am traveling May 8 for 1 week, to meet up with Carolyn's group as well as to enjoy the resort after having spent a week there in January, I am not so much sure that the Cat is at fault, as are the tour operators who purchase blocks of rooms at various properties and then try to shuffle bodies around.

This had better not happen to otherwise they will be hearing from my attorney...me,