We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back, so here's the scoop...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
blaine, mn
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back, so here's the scoop...

Had 10 days of sun, and LOTS of wind. Several of the days, it was too windy to take the kayaks out, and none of the small fishing boats down the beach were venturing out. Not a good week for a romantic dinner on the beach. We retreated to the pool for 2 days because our eyes were getting sore from all the sand. Great weather for kiteboarding though.

The wait staff at breakfast and lunch - Fernando, Carlos, and David were great, as was the hostess Elizabeth. We brought some chocolates to leave with our tips, and for the housekeepers - all graciously accepted. Slivino at Toscana restaurant was so cute, my wife wanted to sneak him home.

The new Asian restauarant, Tao Cat was very good. The beef and green curry, Chicken and vegetables, and Pad Thai were all very tasty, although different than I expected them to appear. There's only 10 tables or so, so expect a wait most evenings. but, it is next to the poolside bar, so the wait is a pleasant one.

Pet peeves...

To the two Canadian galoots that came to dinner two nights in a row wearing the same wifebeater shirts and swim trunks - was it really too tough to look decent?

And, the half dozen people that kept taking the poolside lounge cushions down to the beach - thanks for rendering the empty loungers useless.

And, finally, to the people that continue to feed the wild animals - please stip, they're not meant to be eating breads, and by the looks of them, they don't seem to be having any problem finding their own food.

It's nice with all the different colored wrist bands to see where people were from. If you are interested, you can stop by the desk, and they'll let you know which is which.

A very diverse mix of folks, and almost everybody would return my greeting.

There was one German guy that took a few attempts before he'd lighten up with the stern look though.

No issues with the vera club staff - they seemed quite friendly this year.

On Valentine's day, one of the activity staff guys spent a large part of the day wearing a depends diaper and cupid wings...

All in all, it was a great week - the room was good, everything worked, the staff as usual was great. We had some friends join us this year, and they left saying they would gladly return.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

So glad you guys had a good time!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

Happy2be thanks for the report and glad you had a great time. We will be there in May and can't wait. Sorry mother nature was blowing so hard but I see you made the best of it. As for feeding the animals etc. remember you can't fix stupid.

Polloman

blaine, mn
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

One thing I forgot to add in the original note -

To the young Italian woman wearing the shirt that said "Carpe The F***ing Diem" - classy, real classy...

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

What resort?

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

happy2b,

Thanks for the update. We were hoping to hear some favorable comments about the new CRT Tao Cat restaurant as they worked out the kinks. We are looking forward to trying that out during our next trip.

Sounds like you had a good visit even with the free sand blasting and exfoliation service. Some people pay a lot of money for that, you know ?

The guests feeding the animals are either ignorant to the fact that they are condemning those critters to death, or, as one woman guest told us, "they are just so cute, we can't help ourselves" (a.k.a. the rules don't apply to me). Since the coatis and aghoutis are also edible, (and quite tasty, I'm told) I predict the herds get "thinned out" before long -- hopefully before a guest gets bitten and ends up with rabies shots, or worse.

Pool chair cushion pirates ? Yes, we've seen that happen before and we've also seen the staff go and retrieve them when the pirates were off to lunch or frolicking in the ocean. Yay !

As for your commentary about the various "interesting" guests you encountered ... just be thankful they were somewhat better than the WalMartians that seem to be spreading around the world like a virus! We also enjoy the diversity of languages and cultures and have made some very good friends from several other countries.

And, PolloMan has stolen my signature line (from another forum) which I will graciously allow him to use on occasion. :-) It's one of the truisms of life !

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

Please, please, please do not do a cull before we get to the CRT. All the wildlife is a good part of why we chose this resort. I will have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when I see people feeding them.

blaine, mn
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

DaBride,

Catalonia Royal Tulum - sorry I left it out

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

Not to be nasty, but please do not! cull the wildlife, they were here first, long before the conquistadors, the Mayans,etc. The flora and the fauna was one of the main reasons I chose this resort. Perhaps it's some of the inconsiderate guests that should be culled!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

Did you happen to see the first picture on the reviews page?

happy2bwarm - you may not want to look...unbelievable.

Devon
Level Contributor
284 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back, so here's the scoop...

Thanks Happy2Bwarm for your informative post. We are not going to CRT until Autumn but I'm already reading the forum for tips/advice and suggestions.

One thing I picked up on was your comment:: -

'And, the half dozen people that kept taking the poolside lounge cushions down to the beach - thanks for rendering the empty loungers useless'.

Why would people do this? Does this mean there are no cushions on the beach sun-loungers? Please please don't tell me the beach loungers are just hard plastic??!!! We like to spend our days on the beach rather than around a pool - but I need to be comfortable!!!!

Maz. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha