We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual/buffet options for dinner

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
iowa
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Casual/buffet options for dinner

My husband and I have been to CRT several times. One year they had a dinner buffet a few nights (but not every night we were there) by the lobby. We are wondering if there is now a buffet option--or if the new Thai place is more casual? Sometimes after a long hard day of sun, drinking, swimming, napping, drinking ; )...you just don't want to put on the nicer clothes. Anyone who has been there recently have any thoughts?

San Francisco Bay...
Destination Expert
for Xpu-Ha
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

Good morning Yes they started up the dinner buffet again every night. We always make sure that we do go in to see what they have to pick from Some times we were very surprised what was on the menu. Now they always seem to have fresh fish, pork or steak to grill for you Plus a new Mexican burrito bar and fresh veggies. soups. and pasta. Also Ice Cream and many other sweets

iowa
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

Thanks a bunch Carolyn!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

Dressing up just has to be a pair of shorts and a shirt and flipflops. No tux is necessary.

Polloman

Sidney, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

As was mentioned, they do have an evening buffet and it is quite good most nights. However the existance of the buffet does not improve the dress code situation in the specialty restaurants. The official dress code is elegant casual (whatever that means). We saw everything from flip-flops and tees to beautifully dressed guests. The CRT should introduce an elegant dress code (collared shirts and, dress slacks or bermudas for men; dresses for women) and let the buffet accept others not wanting to dress up. The option is there CRT it is up to you....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

I found that the clientele at the a la carte restaurants which I much preferred, was dressed in a myriad of fashions. Personally I prefer preppy, country club attire. I am not one for dresses myself, so please don't mandate that for women, or men for that matter, lol. But I do like the preppy look, must be my upbringing.

However, I believe that clean attire, and shirts and footwear should be encouraged in all dining areas, except perhaps the Tequila Bar during the day. For those who are visiting for the first time, traversing the footpaths in stilettos, well....do so at your own risk. As an aside, if you read other threads on this forum...hogging multiple loungers, also do at your own risk. You never know who might be watching!

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

I agree...please don't mandate dresses, or I will never be back. I actually thought the clothes worn at CRT were great. Everyone can pretty much wear as they please. Though I myself would not wear shorts in the a la cartes, I see nothing wrong with it. I wear capries. I hate getting dressed up at the best of times. CRT, please keep your resort just as casual as it is now...we love it.

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
818 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

Skycat, I had to chuckle when you mentioned navigating the footpaths with stilletos. I can walk on heels anywhere, but, nope, not at the CRT. Between the uneven, stone path and the bridge, I was walking on my tip toes. I started wearing flat shoes, then, changed into my stillettos once we got to the restaurants. Sometimes, outfits just don't look good without a higher heeled shoe/sandal.

K-W, Ontario
Level Contributor
14 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

One of the many reasons that I chose CRT is that dinner was very informal. Like kitley2001, I would not like a change to a more formal dress code.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

So glad to hear I am not alone I yak.

Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casual/buffet options for dinner

Yes, keep the dress code the same. I usually wear nice shorts and sometimes collared shirts, and my wife wears nice capris and blouses. Nothing wrong with this. If you want dress up, there are PLENTY of resorts the require it, along with tickets and reservations. Great thing about CRT is this freedom. Overall, most people I've seen look nice. You don't have the 'walmart' look at any of the dinner locations. lol