We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

specifics on dress code?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Coeburn, Virginia
7 posts
Save Topic
specifics on dress code?

I understand for dinner it's "casual elegance" and for breakfast & lunch it's casual, but I've read a lot of different takes on what exactly these are. I just want to clarify a few things so my fiance and I don't have to pack any more than we need to for our stay in August.

I've read that breakfast it is okay to wear a bath suit & a cover up. Is this true for lunch as well (as long as its not wet)? For a guy, would it be acceptable to wear his swimming trunks and a t-shirt, or would he need to change into shorts? And flip flops are okay here, correct?

For the restaurants at dinner, are these assumptions correct or not:

-Sandals are okay as long as they aren't flip flops

-Shirts with writing aren't okay

-No tank tops for guys

-Button up shirts with long or short sleeves are okay

-Polos are good

...But what about nice jeans at dinner, or shorts? Like for women, would khaki bermuda length shorts be okay, and for men, would khaki or dark colored cargo shorts be appropriate, or strictly just pants only for men? And what about tank top style tops for women?

One more question (sorry for so many!) how does the dress code compare at the buffet option compared to the restaurants?

I just don't want to get there and look too over or under dressed, but I don't want to have to pack a ton of stuff I won't end up wearing either. Anyone who has stayed before who could give me any advice on these things, it would be greatly appreciated!

Rauxa Restaurant & Show
$$$$, International, Fusion
Royal Grill
$$ - $$$, Steakhouse, International, Barbecue
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: specifics on dress code?

K.......Breakfast and lunch you are correct.... Swim suits can be worn to both as long as you have a coverup or T-shirt.

Dinner for men, and this goes for the dinner buffet too, Men can have shorts with a button shirt or polo shirt some type of collar shirt on. Women can wear tank tops of some kind.

Long pants are not required for men at any of the rest. Just don't show up with a pair of cut-off shorts on. Shorts for women at dinner are ok also.

We have seen people dressed well at dinner. Dress pants for men and a nice dress on the lady. But you do not have to go that route.

Pollman

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: specifics on dress code?

We have seen women turned away from the buffets, specifically at the lunch buffet, when they were wearing very "revealing" bathing suit bottoms and a shorty coverup. I think the issue is that they were being a bit too "cheeky" with their attire.

As Polloman said, no cutoffs and no wife-beater shirts for men at the evening meals. Collared shirts and decent shorts (or long pants) and almost any sort of footwear that aren't "flip flops" is the expected attire for men.

One other tip for the ladies : Do not even think of bringing any sort of high heel shoes. Between the polished marble floors, the wood plank bridges, and the limestone paved walk ways, heels will result in a serious fall. Think non-slip types of shoes !

San Francisco Bay...
Destination Expert
for Xpu-Ha
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: specifics on dress code?

Also If you are going to buffet for lunch Please try to be dry. The floors are polished stone and any water dripping can make for a fall for someone else. So Ladies wear a cover up that covers your suit. And Men you can wear swimwear with a t-shirt. I know this might sound weird to mention but my last trip someone came in dripping wet while the person seating others was away from podium and left a trail of water all over.

blaine, mn
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: specifics on dress code?

How about kilts for men, or would that be overdressing?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: specifics on dress code?

Happy...... Kilts are fine as long as you don't flash someone. Also you might want to keep the Sgian-Dubh hidden.

Polloman

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: specifics on dress code?

Kilts ? Why not ! Just no mini-kilts please ! Especially when we are eating ! We've seen some kilts. No... wait ... that was not a man ... I think ... well ... maybe ... but the lipstick and eye makeup ... OK, you get the idea.

The dress code at CRT is not what I would consider "strict" at all. Just make a noble effort to NOT look like the pictures of "The People of WalMart" that are circulating on the internet. :-)

Edited: 8:07 am, July 30, 2012
Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: specifics on dress code?

Pay no attention to AnotherBob's comment "Don't bring high heeled shoes!" LOL I am certain you know I am just kidding. I'm an absolute shoe fanatic, so, wear flip flops to walk around the grounds to dinner but, bring your stilletos with you and put them on after you have gotten on a flat surface. Throw the flip flops in a bag. Voila! I tried walking on the uneven, concrete walkways, once, and it was murder in heels. lol

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: specifics on dress code?

Deb must have acrobatic skills that we have never witnessed ? If there is any hint of rain, the marble floors in the lobby will be slick as Elvis's hair. We have seen many Olympic-grade performances on those floors from people who don't wear "sensible" shoes. Non-leather, and as "sticky" a sole as you can manage is the recommended style. If you insist on wearing stilettos or any sort of high heeled or leather sole shoes, then bring along a bed pillow and a belt to strap it to your butt. Oh, yes, we've seen a couple of "face plants" on the floors as well. The floors can be extremely slippery and even more treacherous after a couple of margaritas !

I'm not a podiatrist but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express several times ! LOL

9. Re: specifics on dress code?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 16, 2013