We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

My husband and I are in the process of planning a trip to the Mayan Riviera in late November. We have been to the Palladium Kantenah several times and are wondering how the CRT might compare. We realize that the CRT is a much smaller property but in terms of beach, snorkeling, rooms, entertainment, food, grounds, ambiance etc.how would they compare.

If anyone has been to both resorts and can help us decide whether to return to the GPK or try the CRT we would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

La Playa Xpuha
Beach & Pool Clubs, Beaches
Bahia Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Under the Jungle
Scuba & Snorkeling
Xotik-Ha Ecopark
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
542 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

You could try posting this on the Akumal forum - that seems to be where the bulk of questions about GPK are answered, I'm trying to remember where I saw most of the CRT questions - maybe in Akumal or Puerto Aventuras forums?

Althought I've never been to both, we're going to GP in September staying at the Royal Suites Yucatan. Our last vacation was to Catalonia Royal Bavaro in PC Dominican Republic. Just from looking and reading about both in RM they seem to look very familiar/similar in terms of style of buildings, decor, ambiance, etc. perhaps because they are both European/Mediterranean companies?

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time whichever one you choose - and good luck!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

I've been to both. Would go to both again in a different season. In short, GP is good for going any time of the year.

CRT - for us it is only good for going in a shoulder season - May or Sept-Oct, low occupancy and the day time is longer and the water is very warm for the swimming, this is the main activity and attraction of going there for us. When there is a higher season there will be a shortage of palapas on the beach (it is rather small) and there is nothing to do in the evening when the sun is out.

If going by your points:

The beach is a little better for swimming (sandy) and snorkeling at CRT;

the reg. rooms are better at GP but we stay at the Riviera;

the entertainment is much better at GP;

the food is good at both,

the grounds and ambiance are much better at GP.

The spa at CRT is not free to use versus GP where there is a huge spa that is open to use to everyone without the need to pay for an upgrade.

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

Having read many reviews of both resorts, and talked with many who have been to both, it is difficult to make any recommendations or to answer your questions. One person's opinion / assessment of good/OK/bad vs another's is always subject to interpretation. For us, the size and ambiance of CRT is ideal. GP is a mega size resort and many have commented on how impersonal and unfriendly the GP staff is compared to a resort like CRT where the staff will recognize you and greet you by name within a day or two of your arrival. Personalized and friendly service is another big plus at CRT.

And, some parts of the spa at CRT are open to all guests. There is a well equipped exercise room with all sorts of equipment. Depending on the category of room you book, the "wet" areas of the spa may be available to you at no charge. Steam room, sauna, and a whirlpool facility. The pay spa menu of services at CRT is quite extensive. We've never heard anything but very good comments about the massages and various "treatments" they offer. There is another massage shack to the south of CRT (about 300 yards) that some have mentioned as less expensive than CRT's spa.

The beach and pool area at CRT are the nicest we have seen in the Riviera Maya. And, contrary to Olga's comment, we have never had a problem finding shade at the beach or pool in any season. Yes, the palapas tend to get occupied early, but there are many palm trees and they actually can provide better shade than the palapas do. There is some decent snorkeling off to the North and South of the CRT beach that many have commented on as well. And, there is a boat captain, name is Tacho, just to the South of CRT (about a 2 minute walk) who will take you out to several locations nearby on a snorkeling trip (or fishing) at a very reasonable cost.

We do prefer going in "low season" when the weather is a bit more moderate and the occupancy level is normally around 70-80%. But, we've also been at CRT when the resort was at 100% and never had a problem.

As for the food at CRT, the new executive chef has done wonders with most of the menus. We just returned from our most recent trip in mid-May and remarked that we really enjoyed the many new food choices and especially the addition of a custom Taco/Burrito/Empanada bar that is available every evening.

There are many trip reports and a couple of travelers who often answer resort comparison questions like yours over on another travel forum. The locogringo.com forums might be a really good place to post your questions and get some detailed info from that community .

You didn't mention the price difference as a factor in your resort choice. The times we have 'shopped around', and compared prices and features, the GP resort vs CRT certainly influenced our decision.

Hope this helps !

Wyoming
Level Contributor
929 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

The Palladium and the CRT are our two favorite resorts and we go to both. They prices tend to be similar. The two resorts are great but very different. After going to the Palladium a few times, we decided to try the CRT and were worried about its small size - but we liked the smallness. I tend to agree with the other posters about going tp the CRT during off-season. We were there last October with 65% occupancy and I would not want to see the beach any more crowded than it was then. One thing you'll love about the CRT is that service is completely over the top. MUCH more so than at the Palladium. But the Palladium has a lot more variety - you can walk all around the place and still not see everything in a week. Food and drink is about the same at both - excellent. I think you should do like we do and go to both - the Palladium in May and the CRT in October. And just to shake things up a little, we go to the Barcelo once in a while too.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

Thanks everyone for all the info. We have decided to go back to the Palladium and have booked a Mayan suite at the Kantenah. We're hoping that the reno is completed at the Kantenah by the middle of November as we have booked Nov. 18th to Dec.2nd. Perhaps we will try the Catlonia Royal Tulum on our next trip to the Riviera Maya.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

I have been to both and would happily go back to either one. Palladium huge and the CRT cozt, but both lovely resorts with good food and good service. I also though both places had great beaches and very important to me was that it was easy to catch the collectivo and explore.

long island
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CRT versus Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial

So, the massages are free?

long island
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply