We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we were at Xpu ha during Emily

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
we were at Xpu ha during Emily

We were at Xpuha for 6 days until we were evacuated on Sunday July 17th. We were sent to the convention center at Moon Palace where we spent over 24 hours with at least 1000 others with blankets and pillows on the floor. We had to leave our luggage at Xpuha in the bathroom and did not get it back before we came home. We were so well taken care of by Palace Resorts. There was plently of food and water. We had electricity because they had a generator and all the staff were so kind and helpful. I heard from other people who were evacuated to shelters with no electricity or running water and really difficult conditions. They were telling us that Xpuha "is no more" but that they paln to rebuild.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

Trip insurance should cover the luggage. We had a expensive ipod taken from our room (not at the palace) and the trip insurance paid for our loss. Good luck

Atlanta , Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

Xpu Ha Palace Update -

Just spoke with one of the actual Xpu Ha local PR folks that was actually on site and involved with our evacuation. She said the following - I assume what she said is true.

- All luggage was / has been retrieved and sent to the Moon Palace.

- No looting

- Yes , everything that wasn't concrete was totally destroyed.

- Two deer died - One killed by tree and one put down due to broken leg.

- One monkey wouldn't cooperate and get in the carrier before the evacuation. Rode out the hurricane OK.

- Basically all trees extremely damaged and completely stripped of leaves / branches. She said that you can now see the ocean from the main road.

- No major flooding problems. Some bags may be wet. But all ceilings / roofs above the bathrooms are concrete on both floors.

She gave me another email address - A Wendy Sena at the following address - "gterecxp@palaceresorts.com".

Good luck...please let me know if anyone gets additional or contradicting info.

2fleet2

Jim Drummond

Atlanta , Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

Latest and Greatest Update -

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS >>>>>>>>>>

Got an e-mail and they say that they have all 6 pieces of of our luggage........BUT they say that they want my FedEx / DHL Account # to charge the shipping costs back to me to return my luggage.

Luggage won't be returned without providing them this info.

Is this what everyone was told ? That we were responsible for the shipping / freight costs to get our stuff back ? How much will it cost to get 6 - 50 lb. bags ( 4 family members ) from Cancun to Atlanta ? Probably over $100 per bag. Maybe more ? Who knows ? All I know is that we were directed , dictated , forced or whatever to leave our bags by the resort. There was plenty of time to get our lugage even if they had to make 2 trips........

Should I just be glad I'm geting my stuff back and eat the freight ????

Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

2fleet2,

I got the same e-mail. I called Fed ex and they confirmed that we would have to pay. I asked about international rates and she said an estimate for 80lbs to California would be $235.00!!! She also said that we would have to pay taxes and duty on every item in our luggage. I am not happy about this. I am going to call our travel agent to see if there is anything she can do. We would end up paying more that the stuff is worth!

Teaneck, NJ
Level Contributor
403 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

Does anyone know what happened to the animals at Xpu Ha?

Atlanta , Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

As per one of the public relations folks that was actually involved with our evacuation.....

- One deer was killed by a fallen tree ; A second deer had to be put down due to a broken leg.

- All of the monkeys were removed except for one that wouldn't get in the carrier. It stayed in the cage , weathered the hurricane and came out OK.

- Supposedly all of the others were removed or survived the ordeal.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: we were at Xpu ha during Emily

Fleet2, Heck it would probably be cheaper for you to just fly down and get the stuff yourself.