We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will the copa still be there on 8/1

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St Louis
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
will the copa still be there on 8/1

i booked thru apple vacations. i put in a call to see what would happen if the copa is not open after Emily hits....hope the damage is minor. anyone else going 8/1-8/7?

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

We're going the July 28th-1st....but I'm getting a little concerned. People are saying that if it's as bad as they say it might be, it could be weeks before electricity is restored. Not sure what to think....

St Louis
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

apple told me if they can not give vacation, they will give a full refund, different resort, or different location all together hope it is still open. i wounder if they would close with no electricity....im guesssing they would not, and it would be a very bad vacation....trying to be positive... my wife and kids are very much looking forward to time on the beach.

Metamora, IL
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

We are going to the Copa on the 20th - maybe!!! We went through Apple as well but did not have the travel insurance. Do you have insurance? My travel agent told me today they can't do anything until Apple puts their "hurrican plan of action" into effect. Then we are able to see if we can go somewhere else.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

I'm hoping they will still be there too, went through Vacation Express and checked to see if trip insurance was included in our quote- it wasn't. Have waited months for this trip.

Wondering what the construction is like on the buildings there?

San Francisco BAy...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

We are scheduled to be at the Copa 7/29 - 8/7...we are just watching and waiting to see what Emily will do. We are checking stormcaribe.com and other Playa del carmen forums to find out what the locals are saying. Hopefully these will be a good source for storm damage reports next week.

San Francisco BAy...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

Copa has six main buildings for the hotel rooms, placed pretty far off the beach. Windows do not face ocean, so that should help. Pool, main beach bar, and large buffet restaurant are right on the beach. I am afraid these will sustain damage. Also heard reports of large storm surge with this hurricane - these structures will not fair well if that is the case.

St Louis
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

Any reports on damage to the copa?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
519 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

Have tried calling our TO all day today to find out what has happened at the Copa. Had no luck. Will keep trying tomorrow. If I hear anything, will post it.

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

Thanks Dizzy, we are also waiting to hear if we are still going. We're suppose to be getting there on Sunday. We have been planning this for months, and waiting the countdown, and now all of a sudden, I wish it were afew more weeks away. Thanks all for your info.

Metamora, IL
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: will the copa still be there on 8/1

I just talked to my travel agent. She told me the resorts down there are pretty much open effective tomorrow. She said some of the ocean front rooms on some of the resorts were damaged. We are going to the Copa on Wednesday. There are people going there tomorrow. Apparently they are to have electricity and phones back with 24 or 48 hours.