We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Copa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
The Copa

Hi. Going to the Copa soon!!! Any one else??? Does anyone know if the Copa offers currency exchange and if so what rates are they offering. Thanks.

san diego, Calif
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: The Copa

going to copa friday have you heard from your t/A if they are open

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: The Copa

going sunday. Just read that there are now closed. Where to next???????????????

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: The Copa

mh1245,

I've been reading that the Copa is closed and when I email the hotel, they keep telling me it's not true. I don't know what to believe anymore. We're leaving next Thursday. uughh!! Did your travel agency give you this info and did they offer to send you elsewhere?

Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: The Copa

I found this great report from a trust worthy source. I believe this info and not what the T/A, hotel or Apple are telling us. Here it is:

Mayan Riviera Damage Report

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 (5:00 pm)

Please read this article carefully, it could save you money and headaches for your next vacation.

Hello folks, the people of Cancun.Bz hired me to make a site inspection to the area affected by the Hurricane Emily that recently hitted the Mayan Riviera. No other electronic media is offering this information on the internet and they are just publishing sensacionalist news and taking as backup for their news videos and pictures from past hurricanes where it is shown disaster and devastation. This information is real and objective, I was hotel manager for 15 years, actually I'm the owner of travel agency in Cancun and living here for more than 27 years, this report is serious and here is what I saw this morning:

Puerto Morelos. I started the site inspection in Puerto Morelos. On this area the hotels located here are Paraiso de la Bonita, Desire Resort & Spa, Azul Beach Hotel, Melia Paradisus Puerto Morelos, Ceiba del Mar, Reef club, Secrets Excellence Riviera and others.

Report: All the hotels on that area are working normally, no damages in most of them except in thatched roofs but they will get fixed in a couple of days. They have electricity, water and all the services, some of them are having problems with the telephone lines but this will be fixed at any moment. We recommend that if you have reservation for those hotels or Puerto Morelos hotels don't cancel your reservations.

Punta Maroma. The hotels on this area are: El Dorado Royale, Mayan Palace, Carrousel Villas Paraiso, Iberostar Playa Paraiso, Maroma Resort & Spa and Venta Club Playa Maroma. Those hotels are working normally and the damages are minor those ones can be repaired in a couple of days. If you have reserved on those hotels don't be afraid to keep your reservation.

Playa del Carmen. This area hosts the following hotels: Bravo Club El Mandarin, Secrets Capri, Maya Koba, El caracol Village, Capitan Laffite, Kaillum Resort, Qualton Club Riviera Maya, Ikal del Mar, Las Palapas. Shangri La and downtown hotels. Those hotels are operating normally too , minor damages to facilities, some of them had thatched roofs as decoration only but nothing that can not be repaired in 2 or 3 days. Electricity is back, they have water and all the services, beaches were beautiful today. I walked along the 5th avenue today and drove on the city and everything seems nice except for some trees and branches but the government and hoteliers are cleaning the streets. If you are going to stay on any of those hotels please do it.

PlayaCar. This is the hotel zone of Playa del Carmen and residential area, it has a golf course and hosts some of the most beautiful hotels in the area. I entered the area and there was a lot of trees and branches spreaded on the paved roads but also an army of workers cleaning the area. I stopped hotel by hotel and asked the manager on duty or the front desk manager about the situation of ther hotels and this is the report:

Riu Hotels.- All the hotels of this chain are operating normally, their facilities don't present any visible damage and there were tourists in the lobby, restaurants and beaches so everything looked like a normal day.

Gala Resorts.- This hotel is closed due to damages on some parts of the hotels, I saw people working on the area, I asked about re-opening date and they said they don't have that information at that time.

Occidental Playacar .- Closed, full of workers, didn't want to allow the access and don't have a re-opening date actually.

Royal Hideaway.- Closed, full of workers, didn't want to allow the access and don't have a re-opening date actually.

Wyndham Viva Azteca.- Closed, full of workers, didn't want to allow the access and don't have a re-opening date actually.

Iberostar Tucan & IberoStar Quetzal. Closed for the next 3 days for minor repairings, contact your travel agency to make sure they will open in that lenght of time.

Reef Playacar. Closed, full of workers, didn't want to allow the access and don't have a re-opening date actually.

For those hotels that are reported as closed we will insist with the hotel manager to estimate an opening date and we will publish the information here.

The golf course looks like fine, some trees and branches on the grass but nothing can not be solved in a short period of time.

Private houses and villas on the area looks okay, the access roads are in very good conditions.

On each hotel we left a letter asking the hotel managers to send us a full report about the status of their hotels in order we can publish that information on this page. Personally I think the hotels closed at this time will be ready to operate in one or two weeks because no visible damages are shown except on the roofs and some palapas on the beach. Before you cancel your vacation for those hotels we strongly suggest you to contact your travel agency or wait for the response of the hoteliers to our letter, we will publish here the report for each hotel. Important: Some hotels in Playa del Carmen and Playacar are working but they still are having problems with the telephone service so if you want to contact them be patient that it fill be fixed in a short period of time.

After Playacar I took the south road to Tulum, after 10 minutes drive I really saw the damage that the hurricane caused on this area. Thousands of fallen trees, electricity poles cutted in half like plastiline sticks, electric lines on the ground, a microwave tower twisted like a small copper wire, myriad of workers of the electric company fixing the poles, lot of activity but about the hotels....

Xcaret Park and Flamingo Xcaret.- The park and the hotel are closed, no access is allowed but we will speak with the head office to grab the information of status and re-opening date. Pending to report, we are getting the information for you...

Puerto Aventuras.- This is painful for me to report this but Puerto Aventuras is devastated, no electricity, no water, no services at all. I recall this exclusive place for its golf course, nice roads, ever green jungle, exclusive hotels, all this has gone, this morning it looked like a junk yard , trees spreaded everywhere, trees under cars, debris everywhere. I personally think Puerto Aventuras will not recover itself for several months. I advise you to cancel your trip to Puerto Aventuras or change it to Cancun or Playa del Carmen instead. The hotels I visited were The Omni, Punta Serena, Sunscape Puerto Aventuras, Catalonia Riviera Maya and the Oasis.

On this area another hotels are located, those ones are Aventura Spa Palace and Xpu-Ha Palace, those hotels are closed too for major damages and they don't have a date to re-open at this moment. If you had plans for vacation on those hotels I suggest you to contact them to their headquartes to inquiry further information. Email them al info@palaceresorts.com

Continued my trip to the south most of the hotels are damaged and no estimated re-opening date was available at that moment but all of them presented serious damages on roofs and facilities, I think it will takes weeks even a couple months on some hotels to get the damages fixed, the landscaping and gardening are a real disaster, it will not be a nice view for the tourists to see a dry jungle and garbage everywhere, please give those hotels some time to recover. No electricity, water, telephone at this time.

If you have reservation for the next few days for those hotels, we advise to change it to any other place like Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Contact your travel agent before taking a decision about this.

The following hotels are in that area and all of them were closed at that moment:

Copacabana Beach Resort

Barcelo Maya Beach

Club Maeva Akumal (also called Club Maeva Tulum)

Oasis Akumal

El Dorado Seaside Suites

Kantenah Palladium and Colonial Palladium

Bahia Principe Akumal & Bahia Principe Tulum

Akumal Beach Resort

Hidden Beach Resort

Xel-Ha Park

Freedom Paradise

Note: If you have a reservation for those hotels after July 31st, please come back frequently to this page, the status of each hotel could change as soon as we receive official reports from the manager of each property.

Kept driving to the south, after the Freedom Paradise gradually the trace of Emily was vanishing and I got to the Sunscape Tulum, this hotel is working normally and the manager told me they have guests inhouse and are expecting more visitors for the next days.

Continued to Tulum town and although they had some problems with winds the hotels are ready to operate once the power have been restored and this would take a few days. If you plan to go to south Tulum hotels I recommend you to check first with your travel agency.

Additional note: How about beach erosion? This is something natural after a storm, in Cancun some beaches present erosion but this is limited to Punta Cancun where all the time have been rocks and reefs so there is nothing to be worried about that. In regard beaches from South Cancun to Playa del Carmen the erosion is present but since the sand is composed by coral and seashells that is soft and easy to recover but still there are beach to enjoy. The beaches I saw today were beautiful and the ocean was blue. I can not say the same for the beaches south of Playa del Carmen because the access to the beaches were closed, we will wait until the hoteliers start sending us their reports.

I take the full responsibility of this article, this is what I saw this morning and as travel agent and Mexican I think it is my duty to let our valuable tourists know what they could find if no matter of the above described they decide to come. We invited the managers of each of the hotels damaged to send us a report to publish the status of their property on this page and as soon as we receive that information from them we will publish it on our weather page. Please keep visiting www.cancun.bz no other media is informing about this issue, the information they have is the most accurate about Cancun on the internet. Please send us your feedback about this report, I'll be more than glad to read your comments. Click here.

Best regards from Cancun. Fernando Robles.

Important. We will send another reporters to Cozumel and Isla Mujeres tomorrow to verify the damages, please come back tomorrow by the afternoon!

Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: The Copa

Actually, our T/A finally told us that the Copa was "toast" by Emily. They knew this info since Monday but have been keeping it from the customers trying to figure out what to do. I am so upset! We have the right to know. It's our money, our time, our life!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: The Copa

I just found this updated report about the Copa at www.Cancun.bz. Doesn't sound good. Who wants to leave the comfort of their home to be inconvenienced in a half destroyed hotel? Not me, for sure!"

------------------

This is the reponse of Mr. Bernardo Rosenthal Director of the Hotel Copacabana Riviera Maya. This is the official information, if you hear rumors or other type of information don't pay attention.

July 20th, 2005.

Dear Cancun Travel Guide (www.cancun.bz)

We appreciate your visit yesterday and we would like to this the opportunity to let your visitors know about the real situation of our hotel Copacabana Beach Resort.

The resort is operating actually at 75% in regard the general areas, the rooms are 100% ready to receive guests.

The following facilities are fine:

Lobby bar

Theather

Discoteca

Tobacco shop, drugstore and souvenir shop

Mair Restaurante La Selva.- Buffet breakfast– Lunch and Dinner OK

Specialty restaurant for Mexican Food El Centenario

Main Lobby

Beach

Areas under reparation

Pool - Will reopen in 2 days

Restaurante La Palapa Pool Area - Ready in 2 weeks

Specialty Restaurant Caribeño - Ready in 2 weeks

We still don't have electric service from the regular lines and we are operating with our own electric plant, therefore there is not conditioned air on the rooms for one more week. There is hot and cold water service in the whole resort. The telephone lines are not working yet.

Thank you very much

Bernardo Rosenthal

General Manager

email: brosenthal@hotelcopacabana.com

atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: The Copa

Hi, Going to the copa next thursday, 28th. Apple said the hotel was opening back up to guests as of the 21st. They do not have any information as to any damages, all I could find out from different sites yesterday and today was some lobby damage (the roof no longer there) and some info said the resort was "toast". I hope at least it is somewhere in between if they are receiving guests. Any one with any new info? Maybe someone going down the 21st can send out some better info to those of us who are going to follow. Thanks.

atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: The Copa

cancel that last post. I just read the one from the general manager I guess that says it all. Doesn't sound very promising.

Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations