We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xpu-ha Palace?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Searchlight, Nevada
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Xpu-ha Palace?

I am hoping that someone that has visited this resort recently can help. I am really interested in visiting the Xpu-ha Palace, however have 2 main concerns. My primary concern is that I read that the resort has some type of zoo. I am very nervous about staying in a place that confines wild animals to unnatural environments. Could someone please elaborate on the confines of this "zoo?" Second, I am vegetarian. Will there be any dining options for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Long Island
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Xpu-ha Palace?

While the resort has a number of captive species (deer, spider monkeys, flamingos, turtles, crocs, birds, etc.) they appear to be well cared for and have ample room to roam, play and interact. There is also a group of codimundies (sp?) that are not captive but nevertheless remain on the property. This says something about the available habitat and ability to exist on the property. The resort conducts nature walks with qualified biologists whom I'm sure would answer all your questions and respond to your concerns. You might be able to contact them directly through Palace Reorts. Just a thought.

With regard to food, there is generally a wide variety of selections at the buffets. Salads, friuts, veggies, etc. (and yikes meat!) I didn't notice many vegetarian choices on the ala carte menus for dinner however. Here again, you may need to contact the resort directly for specifics. The staff is eager to please and I would think that they would be happy to accommodate your needs. Good luck!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xpu-ha Palace?

I try to eat vegetarian most of the time and have a lactose intolerance. My husband is allergic to wheat. So we were somewhat worried about eating here. Here's what I remember that was vegetarian:

You won't have any problem during the morning breakfast buffet. there's pastries, potatoes, rolls, fruit. There's always totilla chips (even for breakfast), a selection of breads, muffins, etc., for lunch. In the Bambu restaurant for lunch, they had cream of carrot soup and a spring veggie soup (but it might have chicken broth in it).

The Ragazzi buffet has the most vegetarian options. There is a small table with vegetarian options that changes nightly. One night it had marinated grilled zucchini, bruschetta (with olives and tomatoes), marinated grilled mushrooms, and more bread. Then there is the salad bar which was larger than the one that is in Bambu for lunch. They rotated what was on there also. There is also a pasta station where you tell the chef which pasta and sauce you want. She cooks it in front of you. They had spinach linguine, plain pasta, marinara sauce, alfredo, etc.

The restaurant Bambu had two types of miso soups and a vegatable chow mein dish, and a fruit dessert which was very good. I think they also had a vegetable sushi roll. I don't think Mariachi had any vegetarian options unless you consider fish vegetarian. (They did have gaucamole and pico de gallo).

Room service had a cream of asparagus soup, salad, and french fries. I'm sure that you could ask for a sandwich without meat.

I think if you were vegan, then you might run into problems. I read that Aventura Spa Palace which is 15 minutes up the road has a vegetarian restaurant but it's listed as 'California Cruisine.'

Elyria, Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Xpu-ha Palace?

I just returned from Xpu Ha Palace April 17. Since your primary concern is the confined animals, I will coment on that. These animals are endangered and rescued from people trying to keep them as pets, or sell them. These little deer are endangered because villagers use them for food to the point of extinction. All the animals are extreemly well taken care of and appear to be contented. They even release some candidates or their offspring back into the wild. However, if seeing any animal behind a fence bothers you and you enjoy being pampered, Aventura Spa Palace may be a better choice.

Michigan
Level Contributor
127 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xpu-ha Palace?

The name of the vegetarian restarurant at Aventura Spa Palace is La Huerta. It is on the Adventure (south) side. It does include meat on the menu now but 75% is vegetarian.

Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations