We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need honest info about Xcalak

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Topic
If you need honest info about Xcalak

Contact my nephew .. he lives down here and is honest and can help you out with any qustions his email is mrmarkcmoran@hotmail.com

new jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

hi:saw this posting that i may contact u 4 info. what is the best way 2 get to X from nyc?how does one go about renting a home? info on fly-fishing,snorkeling,should u rent 4 wheel drive. is it 5= hrs drive from airport? thanx am considering this area as possible retirement home any observations? thanx john green

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

John I have never been there but my nephew went there to start a fly fishing business ...I will contact him to see if he wants me to give out his email....if so I will get back to you...all I know is there is not much there and to be honest I would think twice about retireing in any foreign country.....if you will be on medicare in the coming years you will not be covered outside of the states so that is something to think about...the town only has about 400 people so I imagine it can get pretty lonesome.....it's not like having the convience of being near anything like here in the states.. if you want email me with your email address and I will contact my nephew and he can answer you...where in N J do ou live we are on the Montvale border....rojo123@webtv.net

Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
563 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

For really good info about Xcalak go to xcalak.tv ( message board)

and portillas.com . Alot of locals post here and can answer your questions in depth

new jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

Joan:thanx for your timely reply. i live in barnegat near LBI. my email is jgreen5319@comcast.net&i would enjoy hearing from your cousin i believe.thanx john

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

Say hello to Old Barney for me! I have yet to make it to Barnegat Light this year but hope to.

As far as getting from NYC to Xcalak, my wife and I did this last December. Flights to Cancun or usually much cheaper than alternatives and you may want to try places like Philly before assuming that a NY airport has the best flights.

I am assuming that you are a confident driver in which case you can rent a car. Depending on where you are staying in Xcalak and what Dean did to the beach road, you might be better off with a more rugged vehicle. Last year we got away with a standard economy/compact car (Dodge Attitude) and no problem driving up to the Hotel Tierra Maya, but we are used to driving on dirt roads.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hotel Tierra Maya
Hotel Tierra Maya
110 Reviews
Xcalak, Mexico
Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
563 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

I repeat my earlier sentiments...go to xcalak.tv for additional

information. If you drive from Cancun to X make sure you bring

bug spray, water and flashlight incase car breaks down and it

is late afternoon going into evening. The smart thing to do is to

try and make the trip as early as possible. We arrived in Cancun

at 2pm and then made the drive but in retrospect a night spent

in Akumal or ? might have been fun.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Xcalak, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

Joan,..hate to tell you, but he does not live down here. He and his wife (nice folks!) came..stayed for a while, then went back to the states..simple as that. They are nice people, but they don't have a clue as to what it takes to live here. Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

Thanks for the info...yes I do know tht they are back in the states and I do agree that they did not have a clue what it takes to live down there...anyway from what I hear they are doing just fine.....

minnesota
Level Contributor
130 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

What DOES it take to live down there? My husband is very interested in looking into buying property there. He is originally from Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: If you need honest info about Xcalak

They had to come back as things did not work out for them...I guess it takes a lot more han they expected but if your husband is Mexican then that is a different story...wish I could help you more but I'm sure someone on this board will answer you....