We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Valladolid
Search

Dzitnup

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
93 reviews
113 helpful votes
Dzitnup
Save

I thought I'd post here after the really enjoyable trip we took out to this cenote a couple of days ago (and I mean Dzitnup/Xkeken). Hopefully it will help anyone else who want to go but is relying on public transportation...but I will also put a longer version in the "Attractions" section.

Easy to do using collectivos/taxis. We paid 20p each for the 10-15 minute ride, were let off right at the entrance. 61p each for admission now. Hardly anyone there around noon - in fact except for the attendant, Benjamin, we were alone for almost all of the 2 hours we spent there. Excellent facilities, food available, any equipment you might want to rent (mask, vest, etc.) By far the prettiest cenote we've ever visited (Good enough for the National Geographic cover), and the only time so far in our lives we've had tiny fish nibbling at our feet, screeching bats far overhead, and the sun streaming through a hole in the cavernous roof. 70p taxi ride back to town. Great day! Special thanks to this forum's own Wm Lawson, whose blog on this topic we read beforehand.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
572 posts
296 reviews
157 helpful votes
1. Re: Dzitnup
Save

That was the first cenote we ever visited years ago. There was a dangerous set of stone steps to get in and I can't even remember what we paid to go in. It's a beautiful place and I remember my daughter being a little scared(she was pretty young at the time). I see they have modernized the site a bit since then.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
93 reviews
113 helpful votes
2. Re: Dzitnup
Save

Must be so - There was no "dangerous set of stone steps" to enter, either down to the cenote or into the water. But I have to say...the steps that were there looked like they've been ther for quite some time. Maybe it's a matterof perspective/eperience. I am writing this because I have read other reviews that use the word "dangerous." We didn't see any evidence of that, and I want to assure people considering a visit that if you are at all in reasonably good shape, there should be no danger involved....Just a very pleasant couple of hours swimming in surprisingly comfortable water

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
572 posts
296 reviews
157 helpful votes
3. Re: Dzitnup
Save

I'm talking about 15 years ago. Back when all steps in the area (temples,etc) seemed dangerous. (insert smiley face!). We've been in may cenotes since then and safety isn't a concern. We've been into cenotes by steps, ladders, and even by ropes. It's a fun and unique experience that shouldn't be missed. A definite child pleaser too!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
93 reviews
113 helpful votes
4. Re: Dzitnup
Save

So I'm guessing by what you wrote that you weren't yet used to navigating steps like that, and now you are. We just went to the Mayapan ruins yesterday, and those needed much more care than the ones we found at Dzitnup. Still not "dangerous" by any stretch - Again, I don't want to scare anyone off - but a bit of sensible precaution is always helpful.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
572 posts
296 reviews
157 helpful votes
5. Re: Dzitnup
Save

I learned fast climbing the temples at chichen itza, uxmal, coba, and Mayapan. I remember the first time I brought my kids to chichen itza and my son was so excited he literally ran up to the top. We took our time. after a while he tried to walk down but his legs turned to jelly and we had to sit up top a bit longer than we had anticipated! We have a good laugh about it now. I miss not being able to climb any temples at chichen. Can you still climb at Uxmal?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
93 reviews
113 helpful votes
6. Re: Dzitnup
Save

You could when we were there a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure that's still true. I'm curious, ricka - You were just in V, but Ek Balam is missing from your list. Did you get there?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
424 reviews
378 helpful votes
7. Re: Dzitnup
Save

Hi there! Is there a separate entrance fee to Cenote Samula or is access to both cenotes included in the admission price you listed?

Where do the colectivos leave from in Valladolid?

Thanks!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
93 reviews
113 helpful votes
8. Re: Dzitnup
Save

They have separate entry fees, 61p each. You can decide whether to do both, but after hours of being in the water, we decided to save Samula for another time.

The colecttivos are roughly around 37 x 42, very near ADO. I don't remember if you speak Spanish, but if you do, there should be no problem. The locals are extremely nice and friendly, but many don't speak English.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
93 reviews
113 helpful votes
9. Re: Dzitnup
Save

I see I left out the "2". After 2 hours of being in Dzitnup....Maybe that won't seem so long to you, and you will also want to do the other. Either way - Enjoy!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,195 posts
67 reviews
138 helpful votes
10. Re: Dzitnup
Save

Ricka- you can still climb the main pyramid at Coba, too.

Edited: 5 years ago