We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

I have a plan I would like to run past some travelers to ensure it is possible. I will be staying in Merida and would like to visit Chichen Itza then head to Cancun in the same day (it will be on a Tuesday).

9am-10.30am: Private shuttle from Merida to CI (USD45).

12.30pm: Bus from CI to Valladolid (I read I should be able to join a bus from Chichen Itza without pre-booking).

3pm: First class bus from Valladolid to Cancun (hopefully arriving in Cancun around 6pm).

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I am flexible with travel times, I would like to arrive at CI earlier if possible. The only thing I was planning on pre-booking is the private shuttle from Merida but let me know if I should pre-book anything else.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,191 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

I don´t do private shuttles but unless you arise early for the ADO bus at 630AM (122 pesos), no other first class option. It will have you there before opening time which I prefer over a later arrival. If using your plan, why not take the afternoon bus from Chichen to Cancun at 430 and arriving at 730. I don´t see your 3 PM departure but only buses in the afternoon from Valladolid at 125, 520 and 620. The buses are scheduled at 2 hours 20 minutes to Cancun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

Thanks for your reply. On the website it says the ADO bus from Merida at 6.30am takes 4hrs. Do you know if this is a misprint?

I wasn't aware of the CI to Cancun bus at 4.30, this is a great option :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,191 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

I am having internet problems and can´t see what the ADO site shows but the trip is no more than 1 1/2 hours with no stops between Merida and Chichen.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

I agree with Robert. I took the 6:30 am bus from Merida to Chichen, it's just under 2 hours. There may be a 5 minute stop in Piste, right outside Chichen Itza. You will get there early, before the park is busy. The vendors will not be completely set up, and you will not have hordes of other people there. If you do the private shuttle, you will arrive about the same time as the many buses from Cancun, which start rolling in by about 11:00 a.m. If you don't mind getting up early, you want the early bus.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

If it is indeed a private shuttle, then you should be able to dictate when you want to leave Merida and arrive at Chichen Itza. Otherwise it's not a private shuttle - it's a shared transfer that all the agencies in Merida sell and those all leave Merida around 9 AM, guide, transportation and meal included for about that price.

6. Re: Merida to Chichen Itza to Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2015