We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Valladolid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Valladolid

Decided to stop in Valladolid on our way to Merida. We stayed 3 nights at Hotel Tunich Bey..a mayan name that I did not find out what it meant. We loved Tunich Bey..quiet with a pool and simple breakfast and lovely owners. Think we paid $550 pesos per night. We met a lot of other friendly travelers at poolside in the late afternoons. We are a couple in our early 60's, if this helps. Took the bus from Cancun to Valladolid..perfectly easy.

We took Mexigo tours with Toon to Ria Lagartos, saw lots of birds and had a great fish lunch. Stopped at Ek Balam on the way back to see the ruin, our first. and then stopped in a little town to see a local church.

In Valladolid we ate at, okay I am going to get this wrong..ask Toon, he is very helpful, Canartos? It serves vegetarian menu on Tuesdays and we had several good meals there.

AND you have to go see Casa De Venatos..."house of the deer" and have a tour at 10 am. it should be a museum with all the folk art this man and his wife have collected. It gave me a greater appreciation when I saw this type of art in museums in Merida.

Love Mexico.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Valladolid

Nice report, thanks!

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Valladolid

Thanks for sharing your report. I am planning on staying in Valladolid next year for a few days before going to Isla Mujeres. How long did it take to get to Rio Lagartos? How far was your hotel from the center of town?

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Valladolid

Hotel Tunich Bey is very close.. about 4 blocks to the center. Hence a bit quieter...the hotel in the center of town is on the park and the grackles (birds) come to roost at night and are very noisy....Valladolid is very small.. Ria Lagartos is about 65 miles north...roads are good. If you are coming by bus the Hotel Tunich Bey is 2 block away and very easy to walk to.

Hope this helps...

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Valladolid

blsrsuz....great report..thank you very much! Glad you had a good time with MexiGo...I was looking at their many tours..they look good! :-)

Hey Heather D...Do you have MapChicks Mayan map? $10 and "Includes the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, and Coba; the city of Valladolid; plus amazing attractions along the way." Awesome map!

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Valladolid

Thanks blsrsuz! That helps a lot.

WIBS, I just have the Riviera Maya map. I will have to order the other one when I order my new Isla Mujeres map. I was wondering if they had one of that area. Thanks!

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Valladolid

Tunich means stone and be means road.

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Valladolid

Thank you for the Mayan words...much appreciated..

8. Re: Trip report Valladolid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, June 20, 2013