We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valladolid/Isla Holbox

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Valladolid/Isla Holbox

We were in Merida three years ago and this time we'd like to stay in Valladolid so we can visit Ek Balam, cenotes and other things in this area. Are there any haciendas to visit nearby? Anything else we should see? We're thinking of 4/5 days in Valladolid then 4/5 days in Isla Holbox. I want to go to Rio Lagartos, and then snorkel with the whale sharks. Does 4/5 days in Valladolid seem like enough, or too much time?

Thanks!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Wow, ricka, that's the first I've heard of that, thanks! Between that and the smoked meat, we're set! Any other details, like the name or how we get there?

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Hey Ricka - on which side of Valladolid is teh Hacienda Oxman and the distillery? Is it the Merida or the Cancun side of Valladolid?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,064 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

I had seen it but to better answer your question, the distillery website gives excellent directions http://www.mayapan.mx/

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

I was doing some research on the Hacienda San Lorenzo Oxman the other day. It's off Calle 54, a couple of miles southwest of town. As you head southwest, to the left is the town landfill and to the right is the entrance to the hacienda.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Many thanks to my esteemed colleagues, old and new.

Looks like I will have to make a prolonged visit to Valladolid real soon.

Gracias!

Jackson, Mississippi
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Definitly go to rio lagartos to see the flamingoes. Unique and awesome experience. There are good reviews About hotels right here on trip advisor. When we went we saw a video that convinced us to go. The link is below

Www.sanfelipeyucatan.com. Click on the biosphere reserve tab.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

So if we're in Valladolid, do we go to Rio Lagartos and stay all night? Then go to Holbox? Or can Rio Lagartos be a day trip? Thanks for the video!

Edited: 2:20 pm, January 29, 2012
Jackson, Mississippi
9 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

If you set up your tour in advance you could go from Valladolid to rip lagartos and then to holbox in a day, but you will end up very, very tired. Our recommendation is that you spend the night so that you have time to relax. Valladolid is about 2 hrs from too lagartos and San Felipe and holbox is about 2.5 hours from rio lagartos. Google maps can show you exact distances. It came in handy when we were there.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

The Mayapan distillery is north of Valldolid near the Cancun-Merida highway. I never made it there but there is an article in Yucatan living about it:

yucatanliving.com/culture/none-dare-call-it-…

20. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, April 28, 2013