We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

Does anyone know of a good liquor store in Valladolid? My husband is always on the lookout for a special or unusual rum. Would the selection and prices would be better in Valladolid then in Tulum?

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

P.S. I am sort of wondering the same thing about pharmacies. We have one or two prescriptions that we would like to fill while in Mexico. Would a pharmacy in Tulum or Valladolid have more selection?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

RobertSDF is the Valladolid expert, but here are a few suggestions:

With regard to liquor stores, I've only purchased bottled liquor in the supermarkets. There's a large store on your left as you come into town from the Cuota.

There are several farmacias in Valladolid and Tulum, but with all Mexican pharmacies, make certain you use one that is air conditioned, as many drugs lose their potency in the heat.

Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

Thank you EJ! We will when we l definitely visit the supermarket. I love to visit supermarkets travel! And, thank you for the farmacia advice.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

I did not know that about drugs and heat, EJ! Funny too, because about 97.5% of pharmacies do not have AC down here, not even in Merida! Well, maybe it's at 87.5% here. :D

Not sure if one exists, but if there is a COVI in Valladolid, that is your best bet for specialty rums, none of which are made here BTW. Do pick up a bottle of Xtabentun, which IS made here and is a Sambuca like liqueur made with local honey. Great over coconut ice cream or on the rocks after a big Yucatecan meal.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

Thank you Bill! Xtabentun, is on our list. My husband is looking for that certain rum that is made in a country nearby that we can not buy in the US. We will look for a Covi. Do you think that the prices would be the same as the Covi in Tulum or would we save by waiting to purchase until we are in Valladolid?

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

In Cancun, there is a specialty liquor store called La Europea which is fantastic. They sell wholesale and also retail and have just about everything you could want. They may have a branch in Playa.... Prices might be higher in Tulum than in Valladolid but then Valladolid may not have the specialty kind of store... What a dilemma! :)

What is the name of the rum you are looking for?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

Thank you Bill! What fun information you have! I am not sure what my husband is looking for. I think that he likes to look at different kinds and hopes to find something he has read about but hasn't tried. I know that he likes to get the Cuban rums since we can not buy them here. He makes classic Tiki bar drinks and makes all of his own syrups, etc.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,200 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

Not sure but I think if must not be legal to take Cuban rum back into the USA, the same rules as for Cuban cigars. But maybe he wants to drink it all here!

Agree about the pharmacies, Bill. Other than the ones in the supermarkets , I dont recall many with ac.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

The Farmacias del Ahorro (http://www.fahorro.com.mx/index.php) is one chain that has temperature control in its stores. There are several in Merida, but none in either Tulum or Valladolid. The closest to where you will be is in Playa del Carmen.

Also, Wal*Mart and supermarkets with pharmacies are air conditioned.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquor Stores in Valladolid?

Thank you EJ. I think that I read somewhere about a pharmacy at the airport- ?

Anyone know if there is one at CUN?