We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in Valladolid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Dining in Valladolid

Two years ago we stayed in Valladolid. We dined at the Meson del Marques, which had good food but poor service, and at La Campana which had mediocre food.

This year we were in Valladolid again, and Dennis, the owner of Casa Hamaca where we stayed, gave us some suggestions. We ate at a couple of those places, and they turned out to be quite good. I thought I would share our experience, so that travelers know that their are other options beside Meson del Marques (As Dennis said, forget Meson del Marques when there is a tour bus there.) They are not gourmet quality, but we went away very happy.

The first place was across the street from the San Roque Museum. I forget the name but it started with a "Y". (Maybe someone can help me out on that.) When we walked in it looked like a hole in the wall. There were no other customers, which made us a bit leary. We went out to the terrace in the back which had a nice view looking out over what appeared to be a filled in cenote. The tables on the terrace were not set up, but the staff quickly prepared us a place. To drink we had an "horchata" milkshake. We all like horchata (a beverage made from rice) but the milkshake was even more delicious. There were four of us, and for an appetizer we ordered 2 different kinds of nachos. They were delicious and unlike any nachos we've ever had in the U.S., loaded with tasty shredded beef. The portions were enormous, and a plate of nachos could easily make a satisifying main dish. However we did order main courses as well, and everyone was pleased with their choice. I had the "poc chuc", and although the meat was a bit tough it was very tasty. All in all a good experience, and we went away happy and full for a very reasonable price.

The next night we went to the restaurant that is perched above the Zaci Cenote a couple blocks from the plaza. I must say that the service was excellent (granted, the place was nearly empty). We had the attention of 3 different waiters. One of them was 11 years old, very polite and attentive, and could give a lessons on service to some waiters in the U.S.! We ordered drinks, and out came a half dozen bowls of "botanas" (free appetizers served with drinks). All were simple but very tasty. As our main course we ordered the Yucatecan platter for four. Out came a HUGE platter with eight different Yucatecan specialities. There was enough there for each of us to have good sample of each of the eight dishes. All of them were good... some of the dishes such as the stuffed cheese I've had better in Merida... others such the "lomitas de Valladolid" were excellent. All in all it was a very nice introduction for the traveler to the dishes that are unique to the Yucatan. As an added attraction, at dusk we were able to watch from our table as the bats came out of the cenote. (Don't worry, they don't come near the restaurant.)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in Valladolid

Thanks for the post--I have spent much time in Valladolid and enjoyed reading your experiences.

Agree about Meson del Marques --not great food or service and too many tour buses.

I believe the one across from the museum is Yepez or something similar. I eat there often and always enjoy it. Many nights, nice live entertainment outside. And the nachos are great!!

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in Valladolid

Yes, I think that's it... Yepez. Thanks!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining in Valladolid

I like the trays of comida maya at Plaza Maya about 6 blocks west of the square on the same street as the cathedral. They'll make a tray large enough for your size group. We love to take our grandsons there.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining in Valladolid

Reading the original post that you were the only customers at Yepez, I was curious as to the time. I always met two friends who left their college classes late and we were usually there at about 9. Seems to be a late night place as the crowd always seems to build while we were there.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining in Valladolid

We arrived at Yepez around sunset, so it probably would have been around 5:00, and we had a leisurely meal of about 2 hours. I know that's early for supper in Mexico, but even so, we were surprised to be the only ones there, especially after finding out how good the food was.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining in Valladolid

I have also arrived early at Yepez to find myself almost alone. Most Mexicans have just finished their lunch an hour or two before the 5PM time. But the place does seem to be more late night than most--often crowded at 9 or 10 PM . Probably because many restaurants are not open late in Valladolid.

I never returned to the Hotel Maria de la Luz after I ordered one night at about 915 and was told I would have to finish eating and leave by their 10 PM closing. I told them forget the order and went to Yepez.

7. Re: Dining in Valladolid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 22, 2009