We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Topic
good budget hotel

I'll be arriving to Cancun in a few weeks and heading staright to Valladolid for a couple of days before continuing to Merida.

Any suggestions for a good budget hotel. I'm travelling solo.

Thanks.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good budget hotel

Depends on your definition of budget. My favorite is the Hotel Zaci. Nice rooms and grounds with pool, a/c, cable TV for about 35 dollars single. Lower in price but very clean with nice rooms with a/c, cable, etc, is the Hotel Valladolid for about 25 dollars single. Hotel Valladolid directly opposite ADO bus terminal, Zaci is an easy 1 1/2 block walk.

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: good budget hotel

Thanks Robert.

I plan on being there for 3 nights. Obviously seeing Chichen Itza. What other suggestions to see or do? It doesn't have to be Mayan as I will see the major mayan ruins anyway.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: good budget hotel

Don't miss Ek Balam. Yes, it's a Mayan ruin, but well worth seeing. It's about 15-20 minutes north of Valladolid, and there are colectivos that run back and forth - the blue ones, I believe.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good budget hotel

Agree with IHX--dont miss Ek Balam . Probably my favorite site. And Merida a favorite city--a really great place. I will be there tomorrow!

Ontario
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good budget hotel

Ditto on Ek Balam it is really great. Make sure you climb the large pyramid to see the restored stucco figures about halfway up the side. It is a real rarity to have these reliefs intact!!! In Merida, make sure to visit the Museum of Anthropology on Paseo de Montejo. It is a great little museum of Mayan life and artifacts but like all museums in Yucatan, it is closed on Mondays. There are cultural events every night in Merida ( see Yucatan today or Yucatan living websites for info ). We ate salbutes, panuchos and tamales for dollars a day from the local vendors and never felt ill.

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: good budget hotel

Thanks to everyone. After Vall I'll be in Merida for 6 days - taking a Spanish class to brush up on my conversational Spanish. I will have plenty of time to explore Merida and the nearby sites.

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: good budget hotel

Just out of curiousity - how much time is usually needed to see Chichen Itza and Ek Balam? I undertsand that there are many colectivos that go back and forth between Valladolid and these 2 sites?

Thanks.

8. Re: good budget hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 27, 2009