We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please!

It is our first time travelling to Mexico! We're travelling to the Yucatan in December. We will be in the Merida/Progreso area for Christmas, and have a flight from Cancun on Dec 27 at 4pm.. We will have accomodation booked up to Dec 25, so we have one day -Dec 26-to plan and can't decide where to spend it- near Cancun or somewhere enroute from Merida. As we haven't travelled here before, we aren't sure of times/schedules etc.

I am thinking of a visit to Vallodolid, possibly with a quick trip to Ek Balam or may Chichen Itza. We are travelling with an eight year old, who may not be thrilled at spending a lot of time at a ruin, hence a short visit. We will be travelling by bus., and I can't seem to find bus schedules for Vallodolid.

IIs is feasible to:

a) travel from Progreso/Merida to Vallodolid and see a little of Ek Balam or Chichen Itza on that day.

b) leave Vallodolid the morning of December 27 and arrive in Cancun in time for a 4pm flight that day. ie by noon.

Any thoughts on the feasibility and logistics of this plan would be appreciated!

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please!

1. You won't have any trouble finding a bus from Merida to Valladolid at whatever time you want. Since it's a holiday time, I do recommend buying them a day or two in advance.

2. We have taken our grandchildren to Ek Balam twice and find it a much better experience for young children than is Chichen Itza. It is only about 20 KM north of Valladolid, and it only takes about an hour or so to see.

3. You really don't need to be in Cancun Centro before1pm on your departure day, and there won't be any problem with accomplishing that from Valladolid. On a 1st class bus, the trip is about 2.5 hours. Then you can catch the airport bus from Cancun Centro which runs every half hour.

ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please!

Thanks IHX!

I'm glad this is do-able! Valladolid sounds delightful. I think we will head to Ek Balam..it sounds like a better choice for our daughter.

Thanks again.

3. Re: Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 13, 2009