We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abandoning Tulum????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mahahual hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maine
Level Contributor
481 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Abandoning Tulum????

We have always stayed in the Sian Ka'an. We are considering a move further south as things are starting to get more and more developed. I know Tulum is world class in terms of beach, but is there anywhere down south where you can get beautiful sandy bottom and crashing waves?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abandoning Tulum????

You may want to venture 2.5 hours south of Tulum to Mahahual. If you travelled about 25km north of Mahahual town, you would find what you are looking for. The downfall..?? The beaches are not the "pristine clean" of Tulum. You will find trash washed up. BUT, the advantage to that is no people. There are no hotels or homes that consistently pick up the trash. It washes up everywhere, but where there are people and hotels, you will not find trash. To me...trash on the beach is a sign of isolation. If you stayed at a little place called Mayan Beach Garden, the owner will tell you exactly where to go up in the Si'an Khan to find the perfect, sandy bottomed beach with big waves. We, too, have that here at Sapphire Beach. If you go onto the Mayan Beach Garden web site, she also lists a bunch of rental houses. Believe me when I say...there are NO people here. We live here and I can walk the beach for miles in either direction of our casa and not see a single soul....no matter the time of day. It's just beautiful.

maine
Level Contributor
481 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abandoning Tulum????

Get the trash thing. Thank you Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and everyone else! This past year we picked up a frisbee on a deserted beach in the Sian Ka'an from a schooner that does teaching experiences, for high school kids, from our home state, Maine!

We rent a house on a stretch of beach that used to be pretty deserted. Civilization is creeping in. The thing we love about that area is that you are relatively close to good food in the pueblo (we have little use for the beach road restaurants, except for occasions when extreme convenience is paramount). We would definitely want to rent a house or small casa. Are there restaurants that you could do in the evenings? Not into cooking on vacation!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abandoning Tulum????

We stopped going to tulum several years ago - for the same reason. The problem is that to go further south you have to rent a car or take the bus & taxis...... we usually rent cars.

One place you may want to check is the Mayan Beach Garden. They are not "all inclusive" but they have a meal plan & the place is beautiful. The reviews are pretty good & I've eaten there, and thought that the food was good.

To get there you drive to Mahahual and head north. Very pretty beaches!

Nelson, British...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abandoning Tulum????

I know this reply is late but I too wish to wade in on the replies. We have just returned from Mahahual in fact we were there in February loved ir so much that we bought a casita in Mahahual. We will rent this out once our reno's are completed check out VRBO or go to the Tropicante restaurant website. Now we were regular travellers to Akumal and agree the area is growing. If your seeking the privacy then yes "do you know the way to Mahahual!"

The beaches are plagued by plastic rubbish which washes along the beaches as they exit Central America and of course passing ships! We would love to see a Govement plan implemented to recycle this matter by creating an incentive.

You can remove one day and the next you will find more it is tragic what we continue to do to our lonely blue dot in space!

We have found many great private beaches by car only a few kms from town and yes Marsha at Mayan Beach Gardens has some great info on snorkelling sites. For a great snorkeling trip ask for Captain Hucho in town or stop in at the Costa Maya Realty Office ask for Carlos and he will connect you. I guarantee yopu will have an amazing day!

Great travels and happy memories and welcome to Mahahual!

5. Re: Abandoning Tulum????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 19, 2014