We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majahaul in November

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
243 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Majahaul in November

I am thinking of going to Majahaul in November to dive. I will fly into Cancun and drive down.

I have just a couple of questions:

How long will it take me to drive from Cancun to Majahaul? I read on another post to not drive after dark, is is dangerous to drive after dark in that area?

How is the diving in Majahaul?

Is there anything to do after I finish diving, what is in town for bars and restaurants?

Is is easy to cross the boarder into Beleize?

Thanks

Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
560 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Majahaul in November

I made the drive from Playa Del Carmen to Mahuahal in August. It was about four hours. Yes you can drive after dark but why miss the scenery?

I can't comment about the diving but look at the website for Mayan Beach Garden as they have much valuable information. I'm heading there by the end of the month.

Wayzata MN
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Majahaul in November

Hi Penguin Pete! The drive from Cancun-Majahual is indeed 4 hours and the roads are good however I would advise not to drive after dark because there are no lights, topes that come up unexpectedly and you are mostly driving through the jungle (the roads don't have much of a shoulder ), there are animals that cross the road at night and not too many petrol stations. It's a very nice drive however. I would recommend maybe driving as far as Tulum for the first night and then do the rest the following morning.

Diving and snorkeling will be great. Have fun!

Sue Rovegno -Travel Consultant-Travel Beyond

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majahaul in November

I agree that driving after night is an unwise choice. This highway is not like highways in the US. Although much of it is four lane divided highway there are still small roads connecting to it like a two lane paved road in the US. Because many people here do not have cars you could encounter people walking on the side of the road (with their children), people on bikes, mopeds, horses, and tricyclos. At night you can't see as far ahead and this could cause a problem. Sometimes there is road construction, pot holes, and even animals on the road. It's an easy drive for a heads up kind of driver in the daylight, but is a recipe for disaster for someone unfamiliar with the area at night. Again, as mentioned, there are topes or speed bumps where you might not suspect them to be.

The town of Majahual is quite small but has started to gear up due to cruise ship tourism. Not much in the line of night life I would think, but I have never been looking for nightlife in Majahual. I could be off the mark on this one.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majahaul in November

I agree with the posts on driving at night. You'd be better driving during the day if you're not familiar with the road.

As for diving, you'll be definitely in a great place. Scuba diving is good specially over Chinchorro bank.

As for night life, it is very limited. You will find maybe a couple of restaurants/bars but not too much activity. The village is small and most tourists who stay in Mahahual come mainly to stay away from the noise and hectic touristy areas.

5. Re: Majahaul in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 29, 2010