We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Maya Pier

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Maya Pier

Greetings from Houston!

I've heard the new shopping area north of the town is open for cruise passangers only. Can anyone verify this?

I will be in Cozumel for about a week and wanted to drive down there but if I won't be allowed to see the new pier, then there's no point in driving that far.

Thanks in advance!!

Romeo

British Columbia
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Maya Pier

The cruise ship pier can be seen from everywhere and is the least interesting part of Mahahual.

There is a shopping mall, cinema and hard rock cafe openning in a new area just outside of the pier area, it is not inside the pier. As of December 18th this area was not completed.

I believe you are only allowed into the Pier area if you are employed by the Port Authority, ships or are a passenger with appropriate credetials that match a ship in port.

THe town, inns and beaches are much better than the cruise pier. There are many ships into Mahahual on a dialy basis with only one or two days with no ships. Just check out the costa maya magazine website, they have some more info.

There are fabulous small inns, restaurants and a wonderful new malecon with shopping and wandering. To heck with the Cruise Ship Pier the town when full out passengers is great and afterwards when the locals are done working the night life is great fun.

Mahahual beats any town up the Mayan Riviera as far as we are concerned.

Enjoy your trip if you go.

2. Re: Costa Maya Pier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 18, 2009