We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations info

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Montreal, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vaccinations info

going to mexico mayan riviera at the grand sirenis on 18 february and was wondering if we need to take any vaccinations and if yes if they are important to take before leaving or if we can manage without it...

Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations info

I've been going to Akumal or Tulum since 1995. I have never gone to my doctor requesting any special shots because I was going to the Roo.

I wouldn't worry about it but a call to your doctor would be the wisest way to remove any worry.

Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations info

Twinrix (Hep A and B) is common.

Coquitlam, B.C.
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations info

You won't have time to get all your shots in if you do the Twinrix, the hep A and B. I think the quickest that you can do these is the accelerated dose which still takes 1 month if I remember right and then a booster after 1 year. Vaccinations aren't required for Mexico but it never hurts to have your Hep A and B. We have been going to Mexico for almost 20 years and just finally decided to have all of our shots as my husband went to Africa last July and we all wanted to be up to date and have the same protection. Something that is natural that you can take to help avoid getting sick is grapefruit seed extract tablets (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic etc) the brand that I buy is Nutribiotic brand. This also comes in a liquid form but is quite bitter and I find the tablets the easiest to take. Start taking these 1 week prior to leaving, the whole time you are away and a week after you are back. DO NOT take these if you are also taking prescription heart medications or cholesterol lowering drugs as they interact with these prescription medications. Take 2-3 tablets a day. The other thing to take is acidophilus, same thing take a week before you go, while you are there and 1 week after you are back. Take 2-3 capsules a day. The brand that I buy is Natural Factors double strength acidophilus and bifidus. This helps to pump up your healthy bacteria to fight off any bacteria that your body is not used to. I have taken both of these on all of our vacations and have never been sick. I have taken all the health food store and herbal courses so I know that these are safe. My daughter started taking these also on our trips to Mexico from the time she was about 6 years old. With kids you have to just reduce the amount they take (ie 1 grapefruit seed extract tablet and 1-2 acidophilus) I have recommended these natural supplements to quite a few people over the years and everyone has had great luck with them.

SW - Vancouver

4. Re: vaccinations info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 27, 2009