We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Akumal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cheboygan, MI
10 posts
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Akumal

Has anyone out there been bumped from the hotel lately? Last year (I was traveling with a group of 6 women, 3 rooms) we booked reservation direct through the hotel and when we got there we were bumped to the Barcelo for the week. Before we left we heard that they were overbooked by hundreds of rooms. The Barcelo was a nice hotel but wanted to try the Bahia again this April. Just wondering if you were bumped did you book your rooms direct from the hotel or buy a package and what hotel did you end up at?

North of Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

We just returned from a one week stay and although the hotel was full we did not get bumped. I did speak to others who said that when they arrived they were asked if they would like to spend one night at the Coba resort (still part of the Bahia complex) due to an overbooking but that was it. Have a great holiday!!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

I will enjoy my 9th stay (since 2000)at the Bahia. While I've never been bumped, I have been offered accomodations at other sections from my original booking. For me this is not an issue as I treat the complex as one huge resort and enjoy myself in a different spot each day.

I have been at resorts where guests were bumped, my experiences are bookings made directly with the hotel then ones made using online services are the first bumped with guests represented by a travel agent the last ones "targeted". A travel agent will represent you in this situation and can refuse a bump. A TA can also help you with options you would be willing to accept if presented with a bumping situation upon arrival. Just my two cents..........

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

I'm staying on the Coba side on the 26th. I know my flight is sold out but I'm not sure about the hotel. I really do not want to be bumped as it took me a long time to decide on where to stay.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

Hey Laney - you would undoubtedly be one of the last ones to get bumped with VIP status! We've been there four times, preparing to book our fifth visit (soon I hope!). Do you travel with children?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

I have traveled with children - my most recent (6-2005) Bahia stay was with one 12 yr old gentleman and two 15 yr old ladies. All three had a wonderful time.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

We have found this to be an excellent resort for those traveling with children. The beach area there is ideal, and the pool set-up is great (children's shallow pool close to the swim-up bar, not every parent would think that's ideal, but it sure works for me!)

We did have an issue with some of the workers giving alcohol to our (slightly) underage teens, but I think if the teens are looking for that, they can find it any large A/I.

7. Re: Gran Bahia Akumal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:25 am, August 26, 2009