We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone rented a car at the airport?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone rented a car at the airport?

We're thinking of renting a jeep at the airport for our 6 day stay at Akumal Beach Resort. Has anyone done this? I realize that we'll need to purchase the insurance also. Last year we rented a jeep for the day and it around $80, for the week it's around $300. The transfers alone are like $50 each.

montreal
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

We did, from Thrifty. It was between Christmas and New Year, for 7 days, cost $236 plus tax, we did not take insurance because we were already insured through the CAA (Canadian automobile association). We loved having a car and would do it again when we go back, hopefully in April. We were staying at the Grand Sirenis in Akumal. Hope this helps...

montreal
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

I forgot to mention that we did not ask for a jeep, but rather their most economical model, forget what it was, but it was brand new and just fine for our family.

Washington
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

Thanks lilli for the quick response. I'll check with our insurance (pemco) and see if maybe we're covered in Mexico, just assumed we wouldn't be. We' just booked our trip for the week of May 6-11. We couldn't believe how fast flights were filling up all ready, each day we would check, and flight options would change, and through Expedia our resort was alredy booked up through April. Our last trip was in to Grand Flamenco Xarat in November. We never made it to akumal or tulum, only to Cozumel.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

We rented an "el cheapo" car from Easyway in Sep 06. They picked us up at the airport, we checked out the car, and then drove away to ABR. When we returned it a week later with no new dents, they checked it out and gave us a ride back to the airport. Easyway was very good to us. We paid for the full insurance. The cost of the mentioned vehicle, plus 1 extra driver, minus the AAA membership discount, the vehicle cost me $274.23. My major credit Card company said they would not cover the car unless any law suit was within the United States. Therefore, we didn't count on the cc insurance.

Washington
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

I forgot about AAA, I'll see if it makes a difference on our price quote. Thanks!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

We have rented from Easyway also our last two trips. You can get a 5% discount if you have AAA (let them know in advance and take copies of your cost quote and reservation number). I understand they also offer another 10% discount if you pay cash, but we prefer to pay for large ticket items like car rental with credit card in case of any dispute.

Easyway is off airport so you save on the extra airport fee that is charged for the convenience of being at the airport. Previously we rented from Executive at the airport, they are a Mexican owned company and very good and at the time they did not charge the airport tax, now however they do. Also their prices are no longer as competitive as they used to be.

Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
323 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

Check my post on prior experiences with Car Rental and my experience last week with Budget. Posted on Puerto Aventuras forum and Yucatan Pennisula Forum. I rented for 8 days last week from Budget at $116.00 for the week, no extra insurance, new car with 8000 kilometers on it, economy, A/C, manual. It was just fine for us.

Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
323 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

Oh....should have mentioned, I had VISA provide me with a document indicating I had coverage through them while I was there, up to the value of the car, up to $20,000.00 If I had really needed it, don;t know what would have happened, but did not, so it was a good deal.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

we rented from excutive car rental at the airport found them to be the cheapest, and had no problems. rented economy car for two weeks and was only 275.00 i would recomend them highly!!!

Washington
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone rented a car at the airport?

Thanks everyone!