We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations needed?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ottawa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vaccinations needed?

going away on my dream trip in a month or so and am wondering what (if any) vaccinations i need?

www.travellersdiarrhea.com/Index.cfm…

has anyone ever taken dukoral before? is it needed ?

thanks

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations needed?

I think you may be too late for vaccinations to be effective for your trip if only one month is left before you travel.

We went to our local clinic to get the Hep A and B series of shots to protect us, that was a couple of years ago and I forget the timel ines. Sorry don't know about the dukoral.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations needed?

You can do the rapid innoculation plan for Hep A & B..they would 3 b4 you go and another when you return, then a booster at one year. Yes we have taken Dukoral with absolutely no side effects. You would probably be fine if you didnt get them but on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to be proactive.

Coquitlam, B.C.
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations needed?

Two things that you can take from the health food store to fight off any bacteria that you may pick up are acidophilus (buy the one with a high count of active cells) take 1 capsule am, noon and pm and start taking this 1 week prior to leaving, while you are there and take for 1 week after you are back. The other thing to take is grapefruit seed extract tablets, 1 tablet am and pm, also start taking a few days before you leave. DO NOT take the grapefruit seed extract if you are taking any heart medications or cholesterol lowering drugs as it interacts with these prescription drugs. Grapefruit seed is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic etc. The hep A and B shots are helpful but not needed for Mexico. I haven't tried the Dukoral as the health food store stuff has always worked for us and we have been doing all inclusives in Mexico for 20 years. Some of the health food store stuff is much better quality than others, the brands that I buy are: Natural Factors double strength acidophilus and bifidus, and Nutribiotic brand grapefruit seed extract tablets. This also comes in a liquid form but tastes quite bitter and the tablets are easier to take.

Hope this helps

SW - Vancouver

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,669 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations needed?

Definately get your hep a and tetenes shot. Need to take them 2 weeks prior to travelling

5. Re: vaccinations needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, August 20, 2009