We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locusts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Marion, IA USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Locusts?

This questions if for anyone who has just returned from the Akumal/Tulum area - I heard on the news that the Yucatan, specifically the Cancun area, is being swarmed with locusts, and wonder how far south this has reached. We will be arriving at BPAkumal on the 23rd of January, and I really HATE flying bugs, especially in swarms!!!! :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locusts?

Hi audittlady - I read some of the reports coming out of the Yucatan area in September 2006. They were spraying then (they spray at night when the bugs settle down), so I imagine the population has been culled. However, if you are going to a beach resort, I wouldn't worry about them. Locusts swarm crops and fields for food - there's nothin' on a beach for them to eat! I know this is not a definitive answer, but I hope it helps. I'm going to GSRM on Jan. 24th and really have no concerns about it.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Locusts?

Old news...

Marion, IA USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Locusts?

Thanks for the info....actually PugMom, an updated story was just aired on the news last week, as there was another surge in late December/early January. They indicated it was prevalent in this area, so I wanted to be sure.

Toronto
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locusts?

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis from December 22nd through 29th. During our stay we noticed 3 flys. This is the first time I have heard about locusts.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Locusts?

Hi, we just returned Jan 7th.

No locusts, but one moth. However, my kids seemed to be tastey treats for mosquitos which btw, attacked in the rooms. I was assured by the medic, that malaria season was in september.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locusts?

Heard on the news today, that Campeche state has a locust problem now and that is close. Heres hoping they stay in that area.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Locusts?

Seriously tho', we've been traveling in the area for 10 years and have never seen a locust...

I know there was a problem in Cancun but that was probably just a plague to punish Cancun for it's wicked, wicked ways!... Ha Ha

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locusts?

Lucky you missed them. Last year, at times, clouds of them in Cancun and surrounding areas.

9. Re: Locusts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, August 24, 2009