We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ottawa
Level Contributor
128 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

I am traveling with a three year old and a 10 month old to the Grand Sirenis in January. I have heard/read rumours that the 100 km from the airport to grand Sirenis can take more than 2 hours with the provided transfers. Can anyone verify this and/or please give alternate suggestions for how to get there without my kids having complete and utter meltdowns?

Thanks a heap.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

The actual trip is about 1 1/4 hours or so DIRECT. If you take a transfer that is not private, you must drop off travelers at the hotels along the way which can make the trip 2+ hours, I've heard. We always take private transfers from Cancunvalet.com. They are waiting with a sign at the airport and wisk you in a private A/C van or suburban directly to your resort. Their website will quote youa fare. We've used the 5 times and they are a great company...

Alberta
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

I would really like to hear from travellers that have used the transfers from Sunquest, as that is what we will have as well. I have no problem in paying extra to be able to get to the hotel almost an hour earlier. I reall hope someone responds that has had the experience already, or if you do so in the next couple of months, please let us know if it was torture to sit on that bus to get to the Grans Sirenis!!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

We are a family of four, our children are 17 and 19 so the meltdown issue isn't the same for us but we like to get to the resort in good time. I am in the middle of researching a Christmas trip to Grand Sirenis. This forum is so helpful.

Last year we went to Bahia Principe Tulum with Sunquest and it took us just over 4 hours by the time we got off the plane in Cancun to get to our rooms at the resort. (I think that the Bahia is less than 10 km further from the airport than the Sirenis) We had to wait 30 minutes for everyone to get on the bus and then 4 resort stops before ours. It was Dec 26th and I had packed turkey sandwiches, snacks and drinks in case of this kind of delay and boy were they ever appreciated. Really took the edge off.

This year we are trying to go with Transat. $30 more per person but worth it for us as we have an option. They use Westjet planes which are roomier and we are Westjet devotees. Plus the Transat flight schedule is more convenient for us.

IF you absolutely have to use Sunquest and don't do the cancunvalet service just make sure you are prepared with snacks for the family. Your 3 year may surprise you and take it all in stride. The bus is roomier and more to see than the plane so it may end up being a diversion.

Almost forgot. The Sunquest bus we were on did NOT have a bathroom coming or going. We ended up getting off at the resorts and running in to go to the bathrooms. We let the bus driver and guide know we were taking a quick break. Lots of people did it.

Good luck with whatever option you choose and have a great trip.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

We went to GS booked through Apple and used the Apple private transfer. I think it cost $100 for the two of us, but it was the best money we spent. You pass many, many resorts on the way to the GS, and I could see how it could really add a lot of time if you had to stop at more than one or two.

Also, keep in mind that if you take a transfer that shares a ride with others, that will be reflected in the time you leave as well, because not everyone arrives and departs at the same time. If you are on the first of 5 flights that will have passengers for your transfer, you have to sit in the airport and wait for everyone else to arrive and get their bags.

On the way back, same idea -- we spoke with a couple that was flying out at approximately the same time as us from Cancun (3:30 pm), but they left at 6:00 am, while we left around 12:30 pm after spending some time on the beach, taking a shower, and having a nice lunch. We were able to enjoy ourselves the night before rather than going to bed early to get up and catch our transfer.

In all, that $100 for the private transfer got us in on time to make reservations for an a la carte restaurant the first night and helped us beat the registration rush, and basically added an extra evening of fun and full morning to our trip. Money well spent, IMO.

Fremont, Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

Sirtoasty, was the $100 for round trip or just one way?

Thanks Karen

Barrie, Ontario
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

I'm travelling to the Grand Sirenis from 9 - 16 Dec with Sunquest and started looking at the private transfers. If anyone has any good info on who to use, the cost etc.. it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking forward to 2 hours on a bus and I have no children travelling with me. I can only imagine the headaches if you do. The lack of bathroom will definately be an issue.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

osparki (second post on this topic) said they have used cancunvalet 5 times. I checked out the cancunvalet.com and we are considering using their services. Our plane lands around 6 pm so we would like to get to the resort in good time so the first evening won't be totally shot. We don't go until December 23rd so I can't give you an answer from experience.

I am assuming that once we are hooked up with our personal transport at the airport then we go to the general transfer bus guide that is expecting us and tell them not to wait for us.

Toronto
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

We are also considering using a private transfer. We just cannot sit on a bus for a couple of hours... We are travelling with Sunquest, arriving on Dec 16th to the 23rd. We arrive at 9:25am...was wondering if there are any others interested in sharing the van...it would be direct to Grand Sirenis. I checked with Cancunvalet...cost is $125. USD. The van can take up to 10 passengers (we're 2). We're fairly flexible, but would like to leave the airport ASAP. You can email us at wfalshaw@gmail.com if you are interested.

Super, thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

I was wondering if anyone has flown using AirTransat tours from Toronto and how long the bus ride is. I'm traveling with 11 people on Dec. 17 and am thinking about using one of the private transfers but we would need 2 vans. Our travel agent says the regular bus should take no more than 2 hours but I'm getting concerned reading all the posts. oh yeah by the way I'm going to the Grand Sirenis in case that wasn't clear.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfers Grand Sirenis (Sunquest)

Hey Karen,

That $100 was R/T for the both of us. Highly recommended.