We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
jersey city, nj
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

I am planning wedding for next year in the riviera maya area. We plan to stay at the Gran bahia with about 60 guests? Do they offer private receptions with dj or band? I am now hearing the reviews and it seems to be saying that after the private banquet, they go to a disco area. To me, I'm not to crazy about the idea. I have been writing to the resort and they still have not responded; to see if they can have a private reception.

Thanks!

alberta
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

Christopher Gill is on this site quite frequently from Bahia Principe Akumel, he is the guest services manager, he will probably be able to help you with your questions.

My friend got married on the Akumel side 2 years ago and the wedding was beautiful, there was about 40 of us all together and we just reserved seating for us all in the 'seafood' restaurant-the staff was amazing and the manager of the restaurant(wish I could remember names!) went through all of their music they had at the restaurant because my friend's music was on a CD that did not work, to find a song for their first dance. They danced right there in the restaurant, afterwards we went to a 'piano bar lounge' and danced instead of the disco. It still seemed intimate even though we were in public areas.

Hope you have a fantastic wedding there, best wishes and hopefully Christopher will find this message and get you some help, if not try asking in the thread he started a while back.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

Hi,

My husband and I were married at the Bahia Principe Tulum in April 2004, and it was the best decision we have ever made!!! The wedding was wonderful, and we can only say great things about the wedding coordinator and the hotel staff. Our ceremony was held in a private location overlooking the beach/water, which was a great location as there were no sunbathers laying/walking around to interupt our ceremony and wedding photographs. We hired the resort photographer, who was fantastic. All of our wedding photographs were beautiful.

We had a private reception in the italian restaurant (although they did accomodated our request for certain foods available only at another restaurant). The hotel had special menus printed up for the reception. We also had our speeches during the reception dinner.

After the reception dinner, we had rented out the disco for a few hours, prior to the disco being open to the other guests at the resort. They played only the music that we had provided, which was great, as we were able to have our first dance, father-daugther and mother-son dance with only our friends and family around, and party with our friends to our favourite songs.

As mentioned, the wedding coordinator was fantastic. All details of the wedding were taken care days before the wedding (flowers, photographs, location, wedding meal, music, seating arrangements). You can plan as much or as little as you want for the wedding. My husband would probably say I went to the extreme (with place cards for the reception, door hangers with wedding info, wedding favors, ceremony music, reception music, gifts for the wedding party, etc.)

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

jersey city, nj
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

In all honesty, I didnt want the wedding to be cheesy. Thanks for the replies! How was the piano bar and disco setup? Did they have tables for your guests? Was the private dinner roped off? My concern is that i want it to be special- and you only do it once. I want my first dance, speeches, and dancin the night away!

Does anyone have photos? Thanks!!!!

alberta
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

I did not find my friends wedding 'cheesy' at all. Her dinner also had menu scrolls printed up for all of us. The area was not roped off at all, but the other diners did not bother us, we probably bothered them-taking over the restaurant! She did not want to rent the disco, so we went to the lounge/piano bar and danced there for a while, they had their first dance and toasts in the seafood restaurant.

To be honest, most weddings do not get me emotional at all. This wedding was so different, the setting or something, there was not a dry eye in the house and the 'reception'(not like what you would have at home) was intimate and I felt priveledged to be able to be there. Which is probably the way your guests will feel. Do whatever you feel is the best option for you and everyone will have a wonderful time!

alberta
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

Sorry, have tons of photos, but not from my digital camera. The wedding photographer from the resort did a fabulous job! Their pictures were amazing!

jersey city, nj
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

Msimm, where was the wedding location- at a gazebo or beach maybe? Where was the piano bar- at the Tulum, Coba or akumal? Thanks.

alberta
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

I say piano bar, because that was the feeling I got when I was in it. It is located on the Akumal side, behind the lobby area. There was a band in there the night she got married, and they were very good.There is a good sized dance floor that we danced at there.

Her wedding was on the beach, also on Akumal side. We stayed in block 65, there is a map on this forum-check it out, her wedding was just down from these rooms. We could see them setting up the chairs and 'gazebo' area from our room. The set up was very nice, flowers on the 'gazebo', nice chairs.

It has been over 2 years since we have been there so some memories are getting foggy on me, but it was a beautiful wedding and resort. Have you tried to get in touch with Christopher from the resort? He has a thread on this forum, and seems to respond quickly.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

My wedding was not "cheesy" at all. As previously noted you can plan as little or as much for the wedding as you want, and have the wedding that you want. We had the restaurant to ourselves for our reception dinner (no other resort guest permitted) which allowed us to enjoy our dinner and have our speeches in private, as well as the traditional cutting of the wedding cake (we had almost 50 wedding guests). The disco was set up as it normally is (tables and chairs, dance floor, full service at the bar, and DJ). Although, I'm sure you could bring decorations if you wanted.

Vancouver
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

I got married on the Akumal side and we rented out the Disco for a couple hours after our dinner. We did all our speeches in there, first dance, garter and boquet toss etc. We also made a bunch of cd's and the DJ played them for us. We had a great time! Email me if you have other questions.

aussieandy79@hotmail.com

10. Re: wedding in bahia principe tulum or akumal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 20, 2009