We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
504 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

I have just returned from a week at the Grand Palladium - stayed on the Riviera side in a Suite. The room was great - two double beds and a sofa bed for my 4 year old granddaughter. While it might have been nice to have the sofa sometimes, we just left it made up as a bed. Our room cleaning staff did an excellent job for the most part - only complaint is probably that twice they forgot to leave us face clothes in the bathroom - apart from that we got a towel decoration each day which my granddaughter loved!

I emailed in a request two days before we arrived for a main floor room with two beds. I didn't specify location and we ended up in a main floor room in Building 61 - pretty much perfect for us - easy location to get to everything from. I did let them know I was a returning guest - we got a lovely fruit basket which we enjoyed, a letter and a couple of phone calls checking on our stay.

We were impressed with the kids club - can't wait til our little "darling" is better behaved and able to make use of it more. Unfortunately, this was her first experience with daycare and it went less than stellar. Not on the part of the staff, it was entirely her.

Our favourite buffet was Kabah, our least favourite was Tikal. We loved the food at the Beach BBQ, which was the opposite of my previous experience - nice change there! Our favourite a la carte was Rodizio, the Brazilian - the food was delicious. We went to - Rodizio, Bamboo - Chinese, Ribs n More - BBQ, and El Dorado - Steakhouse. We went to Rodizio twice we enjoyed it so much. We went to Kabah for dinner once. We went to various buffets for dessert every night just for something different.

My one complaint - and to me it's a big one - we suffered a huge lack of service our entire stay outside of our room. We would go for breakfast or lunch, the hostess would seat us (remember there are 3 of us) invariably at a table set for 2 - and that would be the last we would see of anyone. No one would bring us another set of cutlery or napkins. And my granddaughter may be 4 but she likes to eat with a fork too not her hands!! Even in the a la carte's we had only passable service. This is so far from what I experienced being a Royal Suites guest 2 years ago. Not sure why either. We did have two very bright spots in Kabah for breakfast - one day we had Wilberth - he earned a tip for excellent service; and Daniel - he went above and beyond our last two days for breakfast and lunch - my granddaughter made a new bff there!

We went to Playa del Carmen twice - once on an organized tour and once by ourselves. We hopped a taxi and walked around on our own - shopped for a few items at WalMart and then hit 5th Avenue hard! Lots of souvenirs! Lobster lunch at Los Rancheros - second time getting stuck eating here - not sure how I let that keep happening!! Expensive!!! I think I need to tattoo the name of this place on my hand so I don't do that next time! We walked from one end to the other. Stopped at a couple Farmacia's and bought some items to bring home - my daughter saved quite a bit on her asthma medications - she has no coverage so three for the price of two inhalers was a big deal.

Great vacation - can't wait to go back!

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Good trip report.

How much did the cab to PDC cost?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Thanks for your report, was the resort at full occupancy? There have been reviews (not just in English) mentioning poor service so I'm wondering what it will be like for us in October.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Great report!

Yes, the resort has been pretty full. We were at the Royal Suites 2 weeks ago. October is usually not so busy. I would recommend eating early at the a la cartes before 7pm or late after 9pm. The service at the Royal Suites is wonderful.

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
504 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

The can to PDC was $28 I think.

While the Royal Suites were full the rest of the resort was definitely not. We never had to wait for an a la carte more than 10 minutes. We did try to go to one one night and were told 45 minutes so we went to another and it was no wait. We went for dinner anywhere from 5:30 to 7:30 ish. There were many of the a la carte's that had no line ups ever. The buffets in the evenings were never very busy.

We did see pretty much a wedding every night, including the night of the BBQ.

I think it may have been some new staff and they are just training them, but not sure of that. I was really shocked as our service previous was outstanding. And tipping made no difference, we tipped and service didn't change so I have no idea. And yes we did see a lot of rude people so that may have influenced everyone.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,033 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Taxi costs

Pay in pesos and save 30% in the exchange

e.g. 300 pesos or less

manchester
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Our taxi from the colonial to playa was 285 peso

UK
Level Contributor
905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

@gobo. We visited the Palladium last October 9-23 and found it quite which had its advantages. Sometimes they closed a particular restaurant on a night but printed in advance which one it was going to be near reception. Weather was good with hardly any rain but by all accounts we got lucky.

B.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Thanks Noodles:) We went on the 10th last year for 2 weeks and loved the weather. Hoping for the same this year. Do you know what sort of drinks they have at the bar at the white sands adult pool?

Ang

UK
Level Contributor
905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

Not sure about specific drinks but would imagine the different bars around the pool at much alike aprart from upgraded area like Royal or a Mayan suites.. We normally visit the Adult pool near the main WS/Riviera main pool. Forgot its name now but it's over a small wooden bridge next to the lagoon. You can see the Mayan suites opposite and they have canoes to get around. The bar there is solely for a handful of guests who use that particular pool. Can highly recommend the Monkey La La ...unless you don't like an afternoon kip.

B.

10. Re: Just back from GP Riviera - Quick Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 20, 2015