We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, IL
14 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

I would really appreciate some help from all of you seasoned travellers! Have been to Mexico 2 yrs. ago and St. John last year, so we have done a bit of travelling. My dilema is that I really love Mexico and want to come back this August before everyone goes back to school. What I need help on is where to stay! We have done Cancun (loved it, stayed at FAGCB - were able to walk places). When we were in St. John stayed at the Westin. Huge resort somewhat of a dissapontment. Too hard to meet people - and couldn't walk anywhere. Taxis killed us ($$)! My hubby and I will be travelling with 4 kids, ages 13, 15, and two 19 yr. olds. We are in our mid to late 40's. I would like to try and all inclusive, but not sure. Thought I wanted to stay in Playa at an Iberostar. Now not sure because I really would like a smaller more intimate place to stay. Really like the Akumal area! Any suggestions? Have read reviews have some ideas, but still would like some help. Thanks to all who give me ideas!!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

caribbeangal-We are going back to Mexico for the first time in several years this July (we're just a few years older than you) and taking our 16 year old. Glad to hear you liked FAGCB-we're going to be there for 5 nights. Then we are going to the Riu Palace in Playacar for 5 days for the AI experience. We plan on driving to Akumal for some snorkeling and diving, also. Go to www.locogringo for good info on Akumal and the Riviera Maya. If we had more time, I'd love to stay a few days in Akumal. On locogringo, you can see all of the hotels , condos, and villas in the area. They have some great prices on condos. One that was highly recommended was Playa Caribe. If you do go the condo route, make sure it has AC. Many do not. Also, there are several resorts at Playacar where we are staying. The Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal are there.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Caribe
Playa Caribe
159 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

My wife and I stayed in Akumal in Dec of 04 for 9 days and loved it. It has a very safe, quiet and accessable feeling about it. It provides you a great "jump off" spot to go see ruins, more beaches, scuba/snorkeling, and of course all the trendy little water parks around. Or, you can be really happy just hanging out around the condos/beach. Yal-Ku lagoon is a must and so is La Buena Vida restaraunt right on the bay front for happy hour/dinner. it is a very mellow town, so I don't know if you might be looking for more activity or people around. We stayed in the Vista Del Mar condos and loved it. Amazing view, perfect breeze, vey clean, nice staff, and a great proximity to everything. Did this help??

Mentioned in this post
La Buena Vida
La Buena Vida
3,457 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Chicago, IL
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Hey sillybilly it sure did. Actually now that I know about locogringo.com (thanks summer05) I now am really thinking about a condo(s) or possibly a villa. Now I am really getting excited about this trip!! I have read a ton about the Yal ku lagoon and my two boys are really excited about it to. What do you think about possibly a villa? Did they look really nice? You see I have always stayed in hotels because thats what everyone tells you is the best to do, but I have been disappointed by the mega resorts. To me their not personal enough. I like the laid back feel of what you felt in Akumal. It sounds really heavenly. Actually I found a really nice villa on Soliman Bay. Have you been there too? They all look awesome. Thanks for everything!!

Mentioned in this post
Soliman Bay
Soliman Bay
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

I have not and I'm not really sure where that is, but in answer to your question about the villa looks, they looked amazing!! A bit pricey, but if you can do it, they would be awesome. There are a bunch in Akumal as well. Check out www.info-akumal.com for a great map of the area and a good listing of lodging including villas. Glad this has helped. You will definitly have a blast!

Chicago, IL
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Hey Sillybilly I just wanted to let you know that I was on locogringo.com (thanks summer05) and really like Vista del Mar Condos - especially for the money. We have 6 of us. We are pretty close to renting one of the 3 bedroom condos for the week. She told me they are in the North building which from what I gather the newest building. I am starting to get excited. Although we have to wait to go - not til mid-August. My older kids have to work! But you and your wife really liked Vista del Mar? Was it really central to walking mostly everywhere in Akumal. I really like to get out and about on vacation. I really enjoy the local flavor. Especially Mexico. I am (and have done) not into the big mega resorts anymore. I'm kinda tired of being herded like cattle!! Well anyway if don't mind sharing some of your Akumal knowledge I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again:)

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Sorry for the late reply. Things have been a bit busy here. Anyway, we loved that plpace. The staff was great, the location is right in the middle of the bay, so you get the best view without seeing a bunch of other condos. La Buena Vida is 3 doors down for a great happy hour and some good food. Very fun place. Otherwise it is a quick 10 min walk to town on a very quiet street, especially in the evening. It is about the same to Yal-Ku lagoon and other retaraunts the other direction. It is a fairly Americanized area, but not in a mega resort kind of way. All the employees are Mexican, but all the owners seem to be gringos. You are also so centrally located for trips to Tulum, Coba, Chitzen Itza and Tulum beach and town. The huge supermarket in Tulum is the best place to get everything and is only about a 15min drive. It makes for a great pit stop on the way back from all the aformentioned trips. I really think you'll love it!Did I say that already?? : )

Mentioned in this post
La Buena Vida
La Buena Vida
3,457 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Just a suggestion about a great AI in Akumal...the Akumal Beach Resort is 3 stars, small, but has wonderful reviews. The beach is awesome, and the snorkeling right from the beach can't be beat. The rooms are RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Looks like you probably aren't going to PDC now but I wanted to second the idea of the RIU Palace, very upscale, but not too upscale price and it is not a huge place, it's big but will not have to walk forever to get anywhere! I also don't think you can go wrong w/ just about any place in Akumal. Don't forget that there is even better snorkelin in Half Moon Bay than at Yal-Ku and its free.

Mentioned in this post
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
461 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Chicago, IL
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Thank you sillybilly and vitale777. Iam getting closer to my decision. ABR is definately on my short list and Vista del Mar Condos as well as Hacienda de las Tortugas. Luna Azul is maybe a possibility too, but they don't have a pool and I have 2 that would like one (ocean phobic - their getting better though). Thanks for the info on the excuresions sillybilly. Tulum is definately on my list. Did Chichen Itza last visit (we went to Cancun) and it was awesome. Plus I want to hang out on the Tulum beaches. How are they? I have heard that the surf can get a little rough. Been told to stay close to shore. By the way how is Half Moon Bay for swimming? I know it is rocky, but is is still fun and swimable or are water shoes a must? Thank you. Have a good day.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
461 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Glad to help with the advice. I wore Tevas every time I went swimming/snorkeling in Half moon. There is a bit of sea grass and dead coral/rocks that can be tough on the feet. Tulum beach does have a decent current/waves. I didn't go swimming there, but I was several doing so including the naked men on the far end of the beach. i forgot reading about that being a nude gay part of the beach. oops. My wife was stoked though : )

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay Akumal or Playa??

Oh yeah, and the Tulum beaches themselves are the picturebook powdery white sandy beaches you dream of. The nicest we have seen, and the water is amazing turquise!!!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico