We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there and beach

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
EvE
Montreal
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting there and beach

A bunch of friends and I (all in mid 20s) are going to the Akumal the last week of august. 2 things bother me so far;

1st; People seem to be unhappy about the beach...Is it really that bad??? I can see on certain pictures that a part of the beach is really rocky, but what about the rest that looks sandy? Are there rocks in the water by the sandy part as well? Do you HAVE to have water shoes to swim at this resort....???

2nd; I hear that there is no organized transport from the airport to hotel and vice versa? Is that just for certain compagnies? I also heard that the best way was to go to playa del carmen by bus then take a taxi from there...Are the buses from the airport difficult to find? do they leave often enough or do you have to wait 2hrs for it to take off?

Any answer would be appreciated! Thanks, Annie :)

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there and beach

Generally, the resorts have a very nice bus to shuttle their guests from the airport. They are all waiting just outside the terminal. Find your tour rep outside the door and she will point you to your bus. One hour ride to Akumal. The taxis are the costliest mode of transport with the bus or collectivo (van) being the cheapest and most user friendly method. $2 as opposed to $24.........your ride should be included in your resort costs. Cancun airport is very modern and well organized with busses and taxis everywhere. Taxi to Akumal is $60 US from the airport, $24 from Playa del Carmen.

Don't worry about the beach. If you bring water shoes, I assure you that you won't be using them. There will always be a stretch of white sand under your feet.

Don't worry too much, everything will be fine

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
319 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there and beach

We used Water Shoes but we were staying at Half Moon Bay which can be a little rocky with lots of coral. However, we did swim at other beaches and did not need water shoes.

We rented a car from Easy Way Car Rental which allowed us more freedom to visit other places. But I would not take a taxi. You can arrange a shuttle cheaper. Have a great time at paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
461 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
3. Re: Getting there and beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 15, 2009