We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

43 days, cannot wait - this will be our 3rd visit to GS.

Anyone care to share any tips, tricks, things that you pack that maybe I haven't thought of already? Always looking for ways to improve an already-awesome vacation.

Pocklington
Level Contributor
131 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Well joeedgar - I guess we will be seeing you at Manchester on 2nd December 2013?

Time scale sounds too familiar - too good to be true?

Workington, Cumbria
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Correct Bob! Although it is the 3rd, but we will be down on the 2nd for a night in the Crowne Plaza :-)

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

we will also be there oct 28 for one week. our first time to GS and Mayan. traveling with Husband and two dons ages 19 and 15. getting excited but also worried I hope I picked the right hotel that we don't slip on the floors I keep reading about and that the beach is not all rocks. anybody able to diminish my fears?

swansea
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Tomorrow, not looking forward to the flight

calgary alberta
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Only 7 more sleeps until we return, cold here and I can't wait.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Mommasan, almost ALL the hotels in the Riviera Maya and Cancun have the same tile flooring. Always wear shoes when walking on it and tread lightly and you will be fine. It's mostly after rain and when one is not paying attention.

Around the pools and outdoor walkways are mostly made of stone, so no worries there. The pool bathroom is where I find I need to pay the most attention, even though they are constantly wiping up the water dripping from the bathing suits.

Just being aware will keep you from slipping.

GS is a beautiful hotel and lots of fun and there is plenty for your sons to do.

Reading, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

19 days for us, first time visitors, very excited and looking for lots of hints and tips! bit worried about the weather forecast if anyone wants to reassure me?

Reading, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

thanks!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Danielle D, we travel to the Riviera Maya / Cancun at this time every year and for the first several, I would watch the weather forecasts and become concerned, because it would show a percentage of rain for every day of our stay. In my experience, on average we have had one late afternoon shower that lasts about 20 mins in our eight day stay. For reassurance, you may want to check out the live webcam at : locogringo.com/Upload/akumal-beach-cam.html

If/when it does rain, be cautious when walking around on the tile floors - they become very slippery. Almost all of the resort use this type of flooring (looks really nice!). You will manage fine if you are aware.

Have a great time!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Countdown to Grand Sirenis...What's yours?

Leaving for the GS, November 27th!!!!! Just wondering though, is it really worth e-mailing ahead and requesting a room or section? I have read a lot about best rooms and best buildings to stay in on the Mayan side. And some people say they e-mailed a head and some say don't bother?? Does it really help e-mailing a head? or should you just take what your given once there or ask once there? Getting so excited it's almost November and it's snowing here really wishing I was they instead of being in my snow jacket!!!