We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

So last year when we stayed in the tulum section, trying to book a round of Golf became a complete fiasco, which included nearly an hours buggy ride to take us to a timeshare presentation and no Golf in sight?

We are returning this year and staying in the Sian Ka'an section. Two of us would love a round of golf, what are the best suggestions (no stress, no hassle) for booking this? Tried last year contacting the club directly - no answer via phone or email response.

We will bring our extra balls & Golf Shoes (Are they really necessary?!) but everything else we will need to hire.

Any help would be appreciated!

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Did you contact the Golf course directly, or did you contact someone at your hotel?

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

I did both, contacted Guest relations at the Hotel as well as the GC direct, double checked the address on their web page too but nothing.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Was at GBP-Coba in Feb. Was not intending to golf and did not have any golf equipment on vacay. Wifey encouraged me to try it when we found out the green fee was included in our all-inclusive. Booked on spur of moment with guest relations, same where book the ala cartes. Tee time and transport shuttle were arranged. Bought 6-balls and golf glove at the course. Expensive. Had sneakers to wear. Rented the clubs $45USD and mandatory golf power cart is $80USD per person. Wound up to be $174USD to enjoy a round of golf. Nice course and pace of play was tolerable that day. Done in under 5-hours. Was told some days rounds can take 6-hours plus to complete because of slow play. Not fun if sweltering conditions. Next time going to take own golf balls and glove incase I get chance to play.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

I was there last xmas and just walked up to the club house and booked a time for the next morning. I was by myself but they put me in with two other guys. The prices mentioned above sound about right. VERY nice course

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Thanks guys, will try guest relations or the club house when we arrive. Think I'll do it as a surprise :-)

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Lou, that's probably the best, do it when you arrive. They were really not ever that busy. And you could ask Alfredo the starter if you could go off the back 9 to make your round speedier & more enjoyable. We tee off at 6:30am, the "mandatory cart fee" was I believe a little less before 7am. And we easily finished before 10am. Also lower fee if after 1pm, but then it's hot & possibly windier or quick rain showers. Only prob with early morning is it's SO humid since the ground is wet.

Gym shoes are fine if it works for you. But bring golf balls & your glove to save a bunch from buying it at the pro shop. I bring my clubs since I can check one bag free & put lotions/liquids in there, too.

Holler back with your review & mention where you lost your golf balls. I'll find them. I prefer Bridgestone or Titelist : )

You'll love it,

SeaBass

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

LMAO SeaBass. Did you find my 6-Callaways? Oh right, few of those were waterballs. I found more than I lost but was really testy going into the forest when a posted sign near the first tee warned of snakes if looking for lost balls off the fairways. We don't get too much of the poisonous/dangerous biting things around home here in Manitoba. The odd skunk now and again or bear from time to time.

Edited: 3:37 pm, June 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Corrector.. Let jungle replace forest wrt GBP Golf Course.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Thanks AlKaTcona for the Callaways. Next time play Bridgestone or Titelists. I did walk into the jungle in a few places & it was like an Easter egg hunt! Balls everywhere. But there are poison ivy type plants, LOTS of spiders/fire ants/bugs that will leave you severely scratching, etc. And the ponds/lakes are reclaimed water (poopie water) so I had to wash my hands & ball retriever very well. I think I left about a dozen balls with Alfredo & the boys as an additional tip they could sell back to other guests.

Another tip: don't leave food in your cart unattended. The coatimundi & birds will abscond of everything while you're putting. So much for my bag of chips.

Maybe next trip I'll open a roadside stand just outside the entrance, selling all kinds of golf gear, maybe renting clubs, too! There's my retirement plan!!!

Adios,

SeaBass

leeds
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Was it just me?.............GBP Riveria Maya Golf Club

Keen to have a round and wondering if there might be others reading this post with same ide. To reduce cost would someone like to share the cost share the clubs and cart feel free to pm me going from 14th july for 2 weeks