We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping advice

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
wolverhampton
Level Contributor
981 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping advice

I've read loads of posts for tipping at all inc hotels however I don't fancy spending a couple of hundred pounds over a two week holiday just on tips.please don't take offence but do the Brits tip as much as Americans but I've been on all inc hotels in several countries in Europe and India and never tipped as high as what I'm reading on here. Especially not to have a round of drinks and tip each drink that's served and just to have my room cleaned daily etc. As I say don't take offence I just don't want to feel tight with money but at the same time I don't want to use all my money tipping

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Tipping advice

Of course , everyone knows the meaning of tip is "to give; to hand, pass", "to strike or hit smartly but lightly".....

In Japan, tipping is not a part of the culture. Japanese people are uncomfortable with being tipped, and are likely to be confused, amused or possibly even offended if tipped.....really, the employers should pay enough so tipping is not required......

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Tipping advice

Perhaps the employers should, but that is not the case in Mexico.....

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Tipping advice

We're off to Mexico in a couple of months...I agree that hotel staff work extremely hard to ensure that we have a good holiday,and definitely deserve tips (if service warrants said tip...)...Please could someone with experience clarify if tips are better received in US dollars or pesos?.....Thank you....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Tipping advice

RobBrent - most tourists from Canada and the US stay All Inclusive as well - I agree it is a pain having to carry cash around for tipping, but I just tuck some into the beach bag each morning.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Tipping advice

"Please could someone with experience clarify if tips are better received in US dollars or pesos?...."

The staff I've specifically canvassed on this tell me they don't care - it's the quantum of the tip that matters (i.e. US$1 is better than 10 pesos, but 15 pesos is better than US$1). There may be some merit to the argument that pesos are more convenient for the recipient but the people I spoke with didn't indicate that. (I should probably add that in typical Mexican fashion, when I first asked, they clearly answered what they thought I wanted to hear. It was only after more conversation and getting to know them better that I got the sense that I was getting a more truthful answer.)

One question for you though Doza, if you're coming from the UK, why are you bothering with US dollars at all? Your money will go further if you use pesos and you won't have the confusion of juggling three currencies. Plus, if you're travelling with Thomas Cooke or Thomsons and thus have a departure tax to pay, US dollars aren't always accepted for that.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Tipping advice

Thank you for that Llisa-much appreciated! In answer to your question,we've been to the caribbean a few times,and have always taken dollars and local currency(not wanting to offend I suppose!)...and reading all these reviews about Mexico,and how many Americans visit,then I didn't want to assume/presume that dollars were OK...As for departure tax,no worries,we're flying with Virgin.. .....Once again,thank you for the very helpful advice!

wickly
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Tipping advice

I take pesos, but dollars are graciously accepted by all. Like US, I figure to tip about 15%. If our week costs about $2000, I'll bring $300 for tips for various hotel staff. If transfer cost our group $150, I'll tip $20. Same with tour guides etc.

I would never consider giving a gift, such as makeup, as a tip, as some suggest.....either to a service professional in the US or one in Mexico....unless they happend to also be a close personal friend, and then the gift would be in addition to a cash tip.

That's what is comfortable tipping for me...but as others have said: "Do what is comfortable for you>"

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Tipping advice

Thank you!

ontario
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
89. Re: Tipping advice

A Canadian couple, we"ll tip maybe $200 in a week, small denominations, spreading it around., What bugs me though is when they ask for it - "if you liked the driving, please tip the driver on the way out". Don't say this, most have been on a similar vacation before, and even if they haven't, there's a big sign above the basket on the way out. Rant over.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
90. Re: Tipping advice

bump