We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sian Ka'an overbooked

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
nova scotia
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sian Ka'an overbooked

Just received a call from our TA said she got a call from air canada vacations that the GBP had over booked the Sian Kaan . We are flying out sunday for 1 week . They offered us the Now Sapphire . She also said the GBP offered us a free week next year at any of their resorts . Air not included

Nothing like short notice . We booked this trip in January

Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
114 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
nova scotia
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

Man what a hassle . The contact e-mail on the voucher does not exist . I guess our TA has her work cut out for her .

I wonder if West Jet since they Deal with the grand bahia for pkgs would book the room for us since we are booking the air with them for our flight there . We could also book transfers with them

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

Good luck frannie. I would think that the resort would not want to have the rooms booked thru WJ, as there might be some costs associated with that. And that would put you on the hook for the Airport transfer. Better do your homework.I think the transfers are $120'ish so at least thats not the end of the world.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

Our travel Agent said she can get us transfers for $35.00 PP round trip

I have not found out from her who they are with . I went on the bahia ambar web site and sent them an e-mail asking about availability in general not mentioning the voucher . The reply I got was to book on line which says N/D or to go through a tour operator

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

Did other customers obtain a satisfactory result?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

Not really. they were stuck with now sapphire, and had to fight tooth and nail to get their vouchers honored for another trip.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

So far, there are 3 of us that have had our voucher issues resolved from the March 31, 2013 over-booking at GBP resorts in Akumal. Apparently there were approximately 400 people who were displaced to other resorts that day.

I believe there were be a lot MORE threads about this in the coming months, as people start to look at redeeming their vouchers for holidays in 2014.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

400 is ABSURD. HOW does that even happen? That's 200 rooms oversold! This is a very good reason for people like myself to be leery of booking with them. Sian Kaan for Now Sapphire? I don't think so! What a pain in the butt!

Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
114 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
48. Re: Sian Ka'an overbooked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014