We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Hi Everyone, my family and I are going to Coba at the beginning of April and can hardly wait.

One of my co-workers advised me to stay away from the lettuce in salads while at the resort since the lettuce is grown hydroponically and would most certainly cause diarrhea if eaten in a salad.

I've never heard of this, but sure don't want to ruin my holiday by not heeding good advice....so I thought I'd ask those of you who've been there recently.

How have other guests at the GBP founds eating the salads at the resort? Our family eats a ton of salad as part of our diet and would really like to eat the salads while at GBP.

Thanks

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

I have been to the GBP complex 3 times and have eaten at all of the buffets and most of the restaurants. While I'm not a huge salad fan I have had lettuce on several occasions with no problems.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

"One of my co-workers advised me to stay away from the lettuce in salads while at the resort since the lettuce is grown hydroponically and would most certainly cause diarrhea if eaten in a salad."

Why would hydroponically grown lettuce "most certainly cause diarrhea"? I don't understand that connection at all.

FWIWl, I've even lettuce and salads throughout the region (although not at the GBP) numerous times over the years and never had a problem. Ever. Not once.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Mexico knows all about food safety. Salads are routinely washed with a sterilizing solution.

Use hand sanitizer after touching the salad tongs.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,830 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

The large resorts such as GB served thousands of meals per day and are extremely cautious about food prep and handling. I have been to the area many times, am a huge vegetable and salad persona and have never had any issues. I can be sensitive to change in environment so as an added precuation I take probiotics and use the plentiful limes on many things.

Thorold
Level Contributor
785 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

where do you think most the vegetables that you buy in Canada during the winter are from?

liverpool
Level Contributor
74 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

We were at akumal gbp. ate the salads at coba (and ice in the drinks think the thwory is they are washed in mexican water. We didnt get sick. People get sick on holiday, its not always the food.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

use hand sanitizer everywhere, some of the stomach bugs are viral and passed around soooooo easily at places like this with so many people...

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

My local travel clinic insists that lettuce cannot be cleaned adequately and should be avoided. I have ignored this advice for 15 years, traveling in the Yucatan as well as many Central American countries.

I've had a few minor stomach upsets, none lasting more than an overnight. I continue to eat lots of salads everywhere I go.

That said, I don't EVER eat at buffets......

calgary
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Very good advice to use hand sanitizer after touching the salad thongs. We also use the sanitizer after touching any of the serving spoons.

One thing my husband and I started doing on our last trip is: if eating let's say toast, we use our left hand and hold a napkin in our right hand until we are done eating. This way we keep using the left hand.

Have a great trip.

calgary
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Told to stay away from salads (lettuce) at the GBP Coba?

Very good advice to use hand sanitizer after touching the salad thongs. We also use the sanitizer after touching any of the serving spoons.

One thing my husband and I started doing on our last trip is: if eating let's say toast, we use our left hand and hold a napkin in our right hand until we are done eating. This way we keep using the left hand.

Have a great trip.