We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

I will go going for a week March 17 (first time in Mexico) and am wondering if the resort is somewhat solo friendly. I realize it's definitely catered to couples, but I hope there will be other solo's like myself. I was also wondering....

1. Are there many activities at the resort? Zumba, aerobics, games?

2. I like the l landscape there. Are there any jungle walks at or near the resort?

2. I did not rent a car and am already feeling stranded. It seems the collectivos are a good way to get to Playa del Carmen or Akumal beach. Is Akumal beach in bike riding distance?

Thanks for your help!

Also, Rob thank you so much for the resort write up. Very helpful!

michigan
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

1. You will have use of all four resorts, so there will be many activities from which to choose.

2. I don't know of any jungle trails (maybe someone else does), but the Sian Kaan is becoming a community, with lots of houses being built. As such, there are many streets to explore, and you can take long walks. Also, instead of taking the trolley, you could walk to the beach-side resorts, where the main roads are cut from jungle.

3. Akumal beach is just a couple miles north, an easy bike ride. I have seen bikers on the 307, but be aware that drivers can be erratic. I am a biker and I would do it, but use caution. The collectivo's are easy to use, and cheap; probably 35 pesos to PDC.

Edited: 11:48 am, February 26, 2013
Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

Freedomgirl , I travel to the bahia solo every year ( I stay at the coba side) , it is perfect for a single traveller with no issues at all. You will not be stranded there , it is easy to get to places of interest and Akumal bay ( to snorkel with the turtles ) is only 5 mins or so away by collectivo or taxi. I wouldn't cycle on the main roads : (. But there is fabulous cycling paths around the resort.

Please feel free to pm me if you would like any further information .

3. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:43 pm, February 26, 2013
Edited: 5:43 pm, February 26, 2013
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

Whata and Damionsmum are right, there is lots to do. On our last trip we ended up at the Mikado with someone travelling alone. You would think it might be intimidating to go to a group show table like that, but she did and we had a great time together.

You also are going to be there the night of the 3rd Annual Gaudy Shirt contest (March 20). I have no doubt that if you went you would meet many great people and have a wonderful time. There's a thread about that you can search for if you want more info.

To add to the others, here is a picture of the TAO activity schedule:

www.flickr.com/photos/strathcorob/8455570963/

And a link to pictures of the activity schedules for the other resorts (you can go to any of them).

www.flickr.com/photos/strathcorob/8440322215/

(Press "next" to advance through them - there are 3 pages in all)

Note that the activities at the other resorts don't always happen - I suggest you check with the animation team for the resort that has the activity in advance to confirm it is happening.

Have a great trip, and thanks for the kind words!

Rob

Boston...
Level Contributor
498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

Freedomgirl..I'm also a solo traveler (and from Boston..lol). Traveled to GBP Coba 9 times and love it. You will have an awesome time.I've met many a great people and have stayed ion touch over the years. Plenty of activities around the Coba activity pool. Staff is wonderful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

3 weeks today and Counting We can't wait :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I can't wait to go!

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

Excellent - might see you there !

9. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an for the solo traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 07, 2014