We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would I be crazy???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Would I be crazy???

Hi, I am considering giving up the Oasis Tulum (not Grand) for one of the following.

Grand Sunset Princess (&350 more) no snorkeling but maybe a chance at Puerto Morelos snorkel tour (to windy in March?)

Riu Yucatan ($150 more) We havent' stayed in Playa before. No snorkelling could we do cozumel? Would that week be an absolute zoo anywhere near Playa given spring break and all.

Riu Tequila ($50 cheaper than OT) no snorkelling same as above but nicer pool area but the long walk to the beach. It may be quieter then though.

I love snorkeling from the beach but I just can't get past the current troubles Oasis Tulum is having. It's mostly the lack of washrooms, beach beds, water and the chance we may end up in Cancun. I have looked at the Grand Sirenis (been there) Barcelo (been there 3 times) and Palladium (way to pricey) The Bahia Principe( sorry I got issues with penned dolphins). All of these are far more pricey like 6 or 7 hundred more.

Has anyone been to any of these that could offer an opinion....am I making a terrible mistake....lol have you all got a crystal ball....

Barb

Level Contributor
4,556 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would I be crazy???

I would take one of the Rius over an oasis or grand princess.

The Rius are in Playacar. You can walk or can it in to Playa. Hop a ferry and head over to Coz.

Have also read about the colectivos that people catch in town. You could take I e downtown Akumal.

Good luck

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Would I be crazy???

perhaps ABR

also did Iberostar in Coz

perhaps do a condo this time

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would I be crazy???

ABR has been booked solid since Christmas. Atleast I havent ever been able to find anything open. I am not into the condo thing this time around. I really don't wanna have to plan that much and I dont wanna have to cook or get a car this time. We were kinda looking for a no brainer holiday ( if ya know what I mean...lol) Just a quick easy get away with some snorkeling and a nice beach we don't need much luxury. I am really thinking that the Riu Yucatan might be ok. Anyone else that can offer up an opinion. Oh yeah and I haven't seen any Iberostars offered that I could justify the expense.

Barb

Edited: 10:30 am, February 06, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would I be crazy???

PS thanks for the input so far to all. Forgive my manners. Barb

Minnesota
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would I be crazy???

We are also booked at the Oasis Tulum, and are staying put after messaging some of the recent reviewers. We feel like for the price we paid we will be fine there. Have you stayed in the Akumal area before? We love the beach and the snorkeling and the quiet nature of the area. You can refuse to move to Cancun if they offer that to you. Your choice, but the recent reviewers seem pretty satisfied overall.

Iowa
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would I be crazy???

We're too staying put...hopefully in the "Grand" section, but have stayed at both the RIU Yucatan and RIU Tequila and can say that I love these 2 resorts. All things equal I would book the Tequila over the Yucatan. The Tequila has better food, nicer setting, better evening activities, and I could go on. Best of luck with your decision.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Would I be crazy???

Not sure if an adult only would work, but have you looked at the Catalonia Royal Tulum? We stay there if we just want to snorkel & relax..............Palladium if we want a more active vacation. Just a thought........

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would I be crazy???

Thanks you guys. Yes We have stayed in the Akumal area before at the Grand Palladium and the Grand Sirenis. We usually travel in fall when the resorts are quieter and the water is a little more calm and warm. We love the Akumal area and may just stay at the OT. I have seen a couple of reviews that said they had no choice and had to go to Cancun. Regardless I am sure not impressed by the way Oasis has handled this whole situation. I really can't say we got a stellar deal especially now that I see the issues. I want to stay in that area as I love the offshore snorkeling.

Cyguy, did you find the walk from the Tequila alright or was it pretty far. I have been to the Barcelo's and the Palladiums so how bad can the walk be....lol.

Still flip flopping here as to change or not to change....arrrgg

Barb

Iowa
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would I be crazy???

The walk was beautiful, relaxing and offered lots of wildlife...including monkeys. Also, they have a golf cart trolley that runs back and forth all day long. The walk should be the least of your worries.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would I be crazy???

I have stayed at the Bahia before and the snorkelling was wonderful. I have heard it's even better in front of Oasis.....so for me, there is no other choice. I'm bringing my own towels, I can sit on the beach and I'm sure I will find something to eat....the reviews are improving and if you send people a private message, it will ease your mind.