We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Tulam ruins and Akumel beach from the GBP complex

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
windsor
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Tulam ruins and Akumel beach from the GBP complex

My husband and I are headed to GBP Coba May 9, we have been to GBP Ambar and Runaway Bay many times but this is our first time in Mexico. We would like to go to the Akumel beach and also the Tulum ruins without paying the excursion prices. I have read many reviews all about the collectivos and taxis but I'm not sure which is best for each destination. Any recommendations as to which would be better for us, we don't know the area and our Spanish is a tiny bit better then basic. Is it a long walk from where the Collectivo drops you off, and approx. how far is Tulum ruins from Akumel beach and how far from the GBP are they. And last but not least, is Akumel beach in or near Playa Del Carmen, would like to do shopping there, so any tips about this or anything else you can think of for a vacation in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Manchester, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Tulam ruins and Akumel beach from the GBP complex

tennisjon, the collectivo takes dollars as well as pesos. The collectivo for Akumal and Playa del Carmen will be on the same side as the Grand Bahia, there is usually one waiting by the entrance to the resort. For Tulum we waited on the opposite side of the road on the grass, the driver will flash his lights when he approaches if he's got room, just give him a wave and he will stop. When we returned ,both from Tulum and Playa del Carmen, the driver knew where we were going from our wrist bands. All the drivers spoke good English and understood when we asked for Grand Bahia without any problems, they will even tell you when they are approaching the complex so you are ready to get off, which is really handy when its dark.

12. Re: Visiting Tulam ruins and Akumel beach from the GBP complex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 19, 2014