We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jenison, Michigan
9 posts
Save Topic
Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

Has anyone stayed at both Akumal Beach Resort and Grand Bahia Principe? Last year we stayed at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal and enjoyed our time. Our biggest disappointment was the lack of snorkeling from shore at the resort. After some research, it seems like Akumal Beach Resort is exactly what we are looking for but there is some hesitation from others in our group. The 3 star rating they saw scared them because they didn't want to stay in a run down resort. If you stayed at both, how would you compare them?

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

I have stayed at both multiple times

I prefer Bahia of the two

Your only a 15 minute collectivo ride to Akumal Bay

Staying at Bahia , take the tram to the Tulum diamond section.

Snorkel there towards the Oasis Tulum or I walk to the pier at Oasis and snorkel back to Bahia

Currently at the Palladium and have done the trip to Akumal to see the turtles

I don't recommend staying at A B R it has gone downhill too much . Half of it shut down now

Topock, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

We have stayed at both ABR and Grand Bahia Principe. When my wife and I travel by our selfs ABR is our choice. Not because it's a better resort (it's not) the location is what we're looking for. It dosn't seem to matter where we stay, we always spend most of our time snorkeling in Akumal and enjoying the beach. Having Lol-Ha and other restaurants close by is also a plus for us.

If we travel to the Roo with Friends and family we stay at different resorts. CRT is my choice for that.

If any in your group is picky ABR is not the place. If there worried that it's only a 3 strar resort, don't book there.

Post Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

My family and I stayed 10 nights @ ABR. If you're at all worried regarding the 3 star rating, do NOT book there. The beach is perfect, however, the resort is not. A 3 star rating is generous. The rooms are very dated. The beds were rock hard and very old. The pilows were smelly & lumpy. In the mornings, we would see several mattresses "airing out" propped on the trees. Food choices were extremely limited and mediocre at best. We had issues with the basics, such as drinking water. The small water cooler was filthy and often empty. The satff were pleasant, but not movitated to go the extra mile (yes, we tipped). We have stayed in Mexico many times. Spending the bulk of of trip outdoors, we aren't usually overly concerned about accommodations. We will NOT stay at ABR again. We feel we get much more for our money elsewhere.

Good luck!

Edited: 1:31 pm, January 23, 2013
Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

We have also stayed at both. If you are either bit fussy then pick the Bahia. It is much larger and offers a better choice of food. The beach there was not great. If you are not fussy then pick ABR. The rooms left a lot to be desired but we found the food fine. The beach area is much better then the Bahia and being able to walk to the small town for Happy Hour or to eat was priceless!. Given a choice I would return to the ABR but for first timers you would probably be better with the Bahia resorts.

Lori

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,873 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

Half of it shut down now

The old / bad half that everyone complained about

Only part I will miss if the moonrise Bar and if they will rebuild it

Going back there in April

I liked the Bahia for its alacartes - that's about it

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

Have stayed at both. We liked the Bahia for the a la cartes and the night life. The ABR for the beach, snorkeling, and access to Akumal. We're returning to Akumal in April; not likely to return to the Bahia but you never know. As others have said, if you have people that are hard to satisfy (glass half empty type) or those wanting something more upscale, then the ABR isn't for them.

Edited: 6:00 pm, January 23, 2013
Poplar, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

I've stayed at both also. But in my honest opinion, it is like the old comparing apples to bannanas. They both are VERY nice in their own way. The Bahia is big, I mean HUGE. The many restaurants and pools are wonderful. There can be a long walk or tram ride to the beach. There are alot of people. The ABR is small. one pool, one buffett, one snackbar. It is perfect. The beach for swimming and snorkeling is right out the door and super nice. There are many huge turtles to see every day. It is just what you are looking for in a resort.....big and lots going on, smaller and make your own fun....

Good Luck in your choice.

Chilly

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

We've stayed at Bahia twice and ABR once - we enjoyed them both - they are both great,depending on what you are looking for.

ABR is small (cozy) with OK food (we never went hungry),good staff - and a great location. Bahia is larger with a much greater variety of activities and more food choices. My son and husband prefer to stay at a larger resort - I prefer great snorkelling - we compromise by staying at a larger resort with some snorkelling and travelling to Akumal Bay for a day. That may be safest for you this time too!

9. Re: Akumal Beach Resort vs Grand Bahia Principe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 25, 2014