We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
PA, USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Having never booked an all inclusive vacation before, I am considering one this June at Grand Palladium Katenah. One of the more attractive features is not having to make reservations at/having unlimited access to a la carte restaurants. Reviewing recent reviews, there are complaints that people arrived tried to reserve restaurants early morning and could not be seated priro to 9 PM, and that they were limited in the number of restaurants they could book, depending on room location. Can anyone who has been there recently comment on this? Thank you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

you cannot make reservations unless you are in thr Royal Yucatan suites. you just turn up at the restaurant of your choice and they will either seat you straight away or if they are busy they will tell you how long the wait is and will give you a buzzer which will go off when your table is ready. You can then go and have a drink and relax while you wait for your table. We went in August and the resort was really busy the most we waited for a table was 1 hour. If we went before 8pm or after 9pm we didn't even have to wait. The system seemed to work really well and there are lots of retaurants to chose from so if the steakhouse has an hour wait then we would try the italian for example that had tables free.

If you have a large group of people then you might have to reserve your table in advance, but there was only 4 of us and we didn't

Hope this helps

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Nigel tells it as it is. I really don't know why people make so a fuss over this aspect of the place.

You go and check in at your resto of choice, get your buzzer, go to the bar and get a drink, buzzer will go 4 times out of 5 before you've finished your drink.

But don't dismiss out of hand the buffets. On Asia night the food in the buffet was better than the a la carte. You selected what you wanted and the guy wok fried it up fresh right there in front of you... perfect.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Ditto the two answers above. We tended to eat quite early and only had to wait (less than 30 mins) for a table a couple of times over two weeks.

You do however need to book for the Punta Emilia Fish restaurant on the beach and for the Teppanyaki show cooking tables at the japanese restaurant. We were there in May 2012, we stopped off at guest services on the way to breakfast and were able to book them with no problem. I'm guessing it may be a bit harder in high season, when they would be busier.

If you look on the Palladium addicts website you can get all the details about the restaurants, when they are open, how they work and the menus etc.

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

We are currently here . Getting a table early for us , no problems

We got to book five ala carts for our two week stay in our white sands section .

We have stayed here multiple times, if this made a difference

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Just wondering what you would consider "early" for dinner and what's "high season"? My husband and I are going to GP White Sand on April 19. My optimum dinner time would be about 7:30. For those that have been there previously, would a table for two be difficult to get at that hour, generally speaking? I also read somewhere that to receive a buzzer, you have to leave your room key? And if you loose your room key you have to pay $100? I'd be reluctant to leave my key in exchange for a buzzer if its replacement cost is $100 should it be misplaced?!

Edited: 12:35 pm, January 23, 2013
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Yes to get a buzzer you have to leave your room key. they make a note of your name and your room number and how many people you want the table for and this goes with your room key. When your buzzer goes off and you return to the restaurant you get your room key back, im sure if you come back with your buzzer and they have lost your room key that you wouldn't have to pay beacause the restaurant had lost it. We didn't have any problems with this system and we really liked it. We ate a few times at 7.30 and could walk straight into most of the restaurants, the steakhouse seemed to be the one that was most popular.

with regard to the charge for lost room keys i'm not sure it was as much as $100 but i could be wrong.

you will love the palladium

Grava83
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Would 5:45- 6 pm be a problem to try to get seated for a table of 10?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

@PaCricket--If people were lining up in the morning, it's probably to make reservations for Punta Emilia and the Japanese show tables and not all the other a la cartes. I was distressed to read that people would line up before the desk opened only to find that Punta Emilia and the show cooking tables were already booked. I'm not a fan of waiting in long lines during vacation, but I would do so if there was a pretty good chance I'd be able to get a seating I'd want... some of these people, it appears, did not have good chances in their favor.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

Grava83. You should have no trouble at that time getting seated. You probably will have issues sitting at one table though. Typically the most they put at one table is 8. Even if the a'la carte is empty.

Probably will have to get two near-by tables.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent posts difficulty booking a la cartes Grand Palladium

"you cannot make reservations unless you are in thr Royal Yucatan suites."

Not true, If you are a returning guest then you are given a different colour wrist band which entitles you to pre-book a la cartes up to 3 days in advance! We stayed here for 14 nights over Xmas and waited for ten minutes at the Bambu one night, every other night of our stay we were quoted a wait of between 1 hour 30 up to 2 hours 20mins at various a la cartes. If we took the offer up then we were given a ticket with our room number telling us what time we should return. Didn't get a pager once!