We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

Hi all,

I am planning a last minute vacation to Akumal. I gotta admit even after reading the top questions and many google searches, I am a bit confused still.

Do you Canadians out there travelling to Mexico tip in American.

OR...do you tip in PESOS and exchange your CDN money at the resort. (or do you suggest exchanging CDN to USD then bringing USD to exchange to pesos in Mexico)

OR, do you exchange your CDN to pesos at our banks at home.

Also, if I were to tip in PESOS, I like to give 2 dollars minimum at a time....would you say that 2 dollars is around 30 pesos; is that normal, or is 20 pesos enough for lets say a round of drinks. Thats what I have been reading but I just want to be clear.

lol....dont know why this is so confusing to me....I guess I am just used to tipping in USD.

Thanks for your help in advance, I appreciate it very much

Julia

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

It's your preference. You can tip in USD$ or Pesos. I wouldn't order USD and then change again to pesos though. Seems your wasting a lot of money exchanging twice.

everyone gets their money a different way. I prefer to just order pesos before I go from my bank so I can get the smaller bills I prefer.

Others use ATM's or exchange houses in town. Most resorts even exchange for you. Really it's up to you and how your most comfortable.

$20 pesos is a nice tip for a round of drinks....

Happy travels

Edited: 8:45 pm, January 20, 2013
vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

Best to bring peso's with you. The resorts don't usually give a great exchange rate. Try to get lots of small bills 20 peso / 50 peso for tipping as sometimes it is hard to get them at the resort because so many people want them. Tipping can also be different depending on which resort you are at. Where we were , tips were supposedly included in the price. We did not tip the bartender but still got great service. We did tip the housekeeper 50 peso's per day and left 20 peso's in the minibar to ensure a good stock up. Tipping the servers at buffets is a good idea , and at the a la cartes you should definitely tip as you are receiving more personal service.

The smallest bill is 20 pesos, Think of it as 2 bucks , and 50 peso's as 5 bucks. Canadian coins are worthless. Some resorts have ATM's that dispense peso's , some dispense US$.

It is fun to see your bank balance in Peso's as it looks much more impressive.

Toronto
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

THANKS TO THE BOTH OF YOU! I am no longer confused lol :)

Have a wonderful night

Julia

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

gordanddar,

Why would you not tip the bartender? He works just as hard as everyone else. When I tip I figure 20 peso is like 2.00. So tip like you would at home.

We order from our bank in Canada and ask them for small denomanations.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

We didn't really drink much last time. Just the odd one here and there. If we were sitting at a bar having round after round we probably would tip. The resort we went to had a tip pool. All staff put their tips into the pool and it is divided up amongst all.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

As Canadians need to exchange their currency to tip in MX (smallest bill we have is $5 which by the way is VERY Well RECEIVED) is to exchange our Cnd $ - why not exchange to pesos (Their currency)

Julia: What would you like to be tipped in: Cnd or US$

I get pesos at home (no fee) from a local exchange house at about 12.6+ to 1 (and I get lots of 20/50 peso bills)

Any less and extra fees, you are getting ripped off by your bank - look around

My tipping rates

Maid: 40-50 pesos

Porter: 40-50 p

Waiter at buffets: if he brings drinks/ remembers my drink - 20p

Bartenders - 20 p every few drinks

Alacarte - 50 p pp

Transfer driver - 50 p per bag

ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

Hi Julia,

We bring Pesos down with us. Being from TO as well we either get our Pesos from the Currancy Exchange booth in Yorkdale or Oshawa malls. Go early for best selection of small bills. We round off the exchange rate to 10 Pesos to the Can dollar just to make it a bit easier to figure out cost of things. You'll love Akumal. My favourite place to snorkel and have lunch or dinner off the resort I stay at. Have a great time.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,976 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

Another Canadian, we only tip in pesos, we use pesos for everything.

We either get them from our bank or from the ATMs once in Mexico.

If we do have leftover USD from a trip to the US we do bring the $1s and $5s for 'emergency tip money', as sometimes you run out of small denomination peso bills, they are hard to come by in some areas, like stuck at a more remote AI. I would rather have a stash along instead of wasting time standing in line at the hotel desk to exchange a 200 into 20s...and sometimes they run out!

Ontario
Level Contributor
134 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

I always find Banks don't give a good exchange rate, thinking mainly US $$. Would exchanging for pesos, from canadian, in the airport be better? The advertised exchange rate seems better in the kiosks

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RE: Tipping; Im from Toronto and I am super confused

Things may have changed , but last time I traveled , the Airport was the worst rate. I have seen some exchange places in PDC that offered a pretty good rate , but you can't count on that.