We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from Grand Palladium

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Live from Grand Palladium

I am here for 5th day now since Jan.12th. Happy to report that:

1. We did not get sick although I was very worried re. norovirus at the other resorts.

2. The weather is fantastic, very warm and dry, only 2 short lived rains that were very entertaining to watch.

3. The sea is warmer than the same time last year so we swim a lot.

4. The food is very good, I even have to go to gym every night to stay fit.

Ask me if you want to know more.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Live from Grand Palladium

@gtown15 - with 2 young children I would ask for a villa #60 or 61 or if these are not avail., then ask them to switch you to White Sands so you would be in a more central location - they both have the same management so it is possible. The part of the beach with the white sandy bottom in the water would be the last northern section of the beach by the La Jarra (more palapas) or the central one by the Colonial/Kantenah pool close by the volleyball nets (less palapas but closer to the food/activities). What age are they? The kids club is right there and the kids seemed happy there. It is for the kids starting from 4 years old and open till the midnight!! Crazy, I know.

@Zeeka - bathing suit with cover up is acceptable at Punta Emilia at any time of the day except when they change to a restaurant after 5 pm till 11 pm, it is like most people eat there. Colonial is a very central part and you are going to be close to everything. The standard rooms are closer to the lobby, the juinor sutes are closer to the beach. I vaguely remember that we stayed there at the villa #9 and it was very central to everything. In fact you will be at the pretty much the same distance from the Riviera pool and from the Colonial/Kantanah pool.

Timeshare people (Palladium Travel Club here) are none issue here. They mostly send you a card with the offer of the free welcome gift if you want to mingle with them, so if you are not interested, they are not pushy.

It is quite chilly after the sun sets down, so bring the long sleeve clothing for the evenings.

Edited: 1:09 am, January 21, 2013
Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Live from Grand Palladium

Today is the last full day of our vacation at the GP. Our flight is 5 pm tomorrow so I am hoping that we get enough time to swim, check out and go for a lunch (and pack a light lunch to eat on a flight home in a Ziploc I always bring with me).

The weather was fantastic all 11 days we were here. It was not hot but very warm with winter season present as an early sunset and being colder in a shade. It was already no sun on the beach at 4-30 pm, so all of you sun worshipers - you have to rise early to get enough of it. Speaking of the sun - although it feels colder, it is still very strong and do not get fooled by it, it is east to get a sunburn when it does not feel hot. The sea is def. colder than we had in September but it is warm enough to swim, lots of people swimming and snorkeling us included. The sea was wavy for 4 days from 11, moderately wavy for 2 days and very calm for 4 days. crystal clear and beautiful.

We are very satisfied with the stay at the Grand Palladium again and I am happy to report that I have not gotten ill - no norovirus signs so far-except the sunburn, some scratches on the palms from the hoby cat sailing and some blisters on the bottom of the soles from the beach walking.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Live from Grand Palladium

Sorry folks but I have to report that on the last morning of our stay we woke up to the rain that lasts for few hours already and has not stopped yet. There were the signs that it is expected - the feather shape of the clouds in the sky calls for the change in the weather as our geography teacher would say. I hope that it won;t be for a long time and newly arriving sun hungry people get their fair share of it!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
333 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Live from Grand Palladium

Thanks for your posts, Olga. Safe travels home.

Level Contributor
4,533 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Live from Grand Palladium

Glad you had a great time.

17 more days -- time to start gathering bathing suits ;-)

36. Re: Live from Grand Palladium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 25, 2014